Celebrating Mom's Bertday! - August 17 & 18, 2012

"I get by with a little help from my friends."  - John Lennon

Some days you are just ready for the weekend to begin.  It's FRIDAY!!  I have a busy day with work, but I am looking forward to a couple of days off.  The reality is that I typically work everyday of the week, but only a couple of hours on each weekend day unless there is an event to attend.  I'm up early most days...probably something to do with the fact that I have been getting into bed before the suns goes down.  Since I am up early I decide that I will run an errand and treat myself to breakfast.  Oddly enough breakfast is the meal that seems to appeal to me the most lately.  I can eat breakfast and stay full much of the day.  My errand is a trip to the local oncology center.  While this is my second time with cancer, I have only been to the center once for work.  It is odd walking into another oncology center and I know a couple of people that work there.  We have a Pink Heals event coming to Joliet next week and the oncology center is selling the shirts for the event.  The lady is on the phone, but grabs me a shirt and I am on my way.  I have been invited to the event by a few of the firemen and a couple of their wives.  I'm not sure if I will be going, but I can definitely support their efforts.  The event is next Tuesday, so I can give more details after I see what it is all about.

Back home to get some work done.  I have a few conference calls today and a couple of projects that I need to work on.  My Dad made is daily stop at my house and has a little bag with him.  He goes to give me the bag as he tells me a little about what is in it.  Apparently he has been eyeing the item for a few weeks now.  He's excited about it, but says he can return it if I don't like it.  I'm getting a little nervous about what may be inside.  I open the bag and there is a hat in it.  Dad says "it's a skull cap"...I laugh because I'm a little shocked that my dad knows what a skull cap is.  It's bright yellow and has a Sponge Bob face on it.  I just start laughing and plop the hat onto mu bald melon.  It's pretty funny and very soft.  My Dad has a love for Sponge Bob.  He probably watches it more that the average 5 year old.  He even includes Sponge Bob in his yearly Halloween display.  I've only seen a few minutes of the show when I was waiting for a chest x-ray the day that Doogie Hauser used the permanent marker to draw around my port.  It was on in the waiting room.  So, here I am on my couch working with a Sponge Bob skull cap on while doing conference calls and working all day.  Thank God we do not have video conferencing!  I'd have to start wearing pants and wearing Zara each day!

After work I meet Gina for dinner at Heroes.  It seems like ages since Gina and I have had dinner with just the two of us.  We usually have the group of girls or Emma, but tonight it is just us.  I'm tired from the week of work, but hungry.  We laugh, talk, looked at pictures and just hung out.  Gina always tells the best stories...the kind of stories that can only happen to Gina. There are some really good ones tonight.  Including, but not limited to, the "Kate Spade" i-Phone case that was ordered and shipped on a slow boat from China all while risking the security of her credit card right before she left for the family vacation.  My body started shutting down on me, so we headed home.  When walking out there is a convertible Nissan Murano and some Harley's in the parking lot.  Who really needs a convertible SUV??  On the drive home I thought about the fact that when I wear a scarf on my head maybe if looks like I just got off the back if the Harley and it is actually a doo-rag....maybe nobody even realizes that there isn't hair under there...did I just make you say "Underwear"?  :)

Saturday morning is spent at my Mom and Dad's.  Tomorrow is Mom's birthday, but she is making breakfast to celebrate today.  I'm feeling guilty that Mom is cooking on her day, but I don't have the energy to have everyone at mt home. I bring baked french toast with pecan praline topping.  My sister brings an egg and sausage casserole and Mom makes biscuits & gravy, etc.  Enough food for an army, but just family.  I ordered Mom's gift, but it hasn't arrived yet...okay, I finally decided what I wanted to get her yesterday and couldn't find it (Dad couldn't find it because he's the one that shopped)...but it is the thought that counts.  We ate, she opened gifts, and then my sister started taking pictures.  I decline all pictures.  I'm not feeling great and I'm wearing a scarf...I just don't feel like having every day documented.

Next stop...a MASSAGE!!!  Whoo hoo!  I'm excited to get a massage because my body aches each day, but I am more excite to see Kim who is giving me the massage.  Kim and I used to work together at Harrah's.  When Kim went through massage school I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of many of the hours that she needs to practice and graduate.  When I wet through my last battle with cancer Kim would often give me massages at my desk on days that were tough.  I have a bad neck from a car accident and from years of working on a computer, so she used to often rub my neck and forehead.  I would have to remind her to not rub off my "eyebrows" when I was going through treatment.  I lost all of my eyebrows last time around and would pencil them in.  Kim is a great person and gives a fantastic massage.  My body felt relaxed when she was done.  My port bothered me a little during the time, but that was the only part that was a challenge and it is easy to ignore it when other stress and pain is leaving the body.  It is good to catch up on where life has taken us both over the years.  If you are looking for a great massage, please consider going to Kim or she can come to you.  Essential Touch - 815-325-6017.  I would go daily if I could!  My body feels better today than it has in a couple of months.

In bed early tonight.  I have a busy week with work ahead of me and it starts Sunday evening.  I need to rest up!

Sleep well!

XOXO,

S



Me and Sponge Bob...it's like a double, bald smiley face.!  Thanks, Daddy!



Mom and Dad on Mom's Bertday!

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 

3 comments:

  1. Where is a picture of you and Sponge Bob?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE SpongeBob! That is totally awesome! Hard to be down with the yellow dude hanging around. Glad mom had a great *bertday* breakfast! Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete