Keep Calm and Bake On- August 19 & 20, 2012

"It's wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago."  - Dan Quayle


Up early and the oven is on!  I had a lot of rest yesterday and have a ton of things to do today.  Tomorrow I have a meeting at my office in the city.  Because I can't fly, they are bringing the meeting to me in Chicago.  I cannot thank everyone enough for coming to the great city so I decide I can bake today for the meeting, pick up at the airport, take some out to dinner, and show off Chicago.  All seems great in theory and would be easy if I was feeling 100%.  It's my "good week" before chemo on Thursday, but I'm still at about 65%.  I can give 100% +, but not for long periods of time.  I decided that I would bake for the meeting.  I'm going in early and it is warm, so cupcakes are off the menu.  Bread seems like the best option and the easiest to transport.  Zucchini, lemon poppy seed, and banana bread make the list.  I have never made zucchini or lemon poppy seed, but I make banana bread often...thanks, Nancy Cook for your great recipe!  Halfway through making the breads I decide I would add in scotharoos for Staci.  She has had a tough few days at work and loves these treats. I shredded enough zucchini to make about 16 loaves of bread...who knew you would get so much out of a few zucchini.  I froze he extra in perfect size baggies for future loaves.  I highly doubt I will ever make that much zucchini bread.  I literally baked all day.  I had planned on getting in a quick nap, but time got the best of me and I needed to head to the city.  On my way to Chicago I picked up Cyndi at Midway.  She has flown in from Kansas City for the meeting.  She and I work on many of the same national projects and she has become the first person that I reach out to when I have a work question or need.  I respect Cyndi and truly like her as a person and friend.  Plus, she makes great cards from scratch and has great stories about her mother-in-law! :)  

It is an absolutely perfect day in Chicago!  Not too hot and not too cold...just right!  The city is busy from the Air & Water Show.  We get settled into the hotel and wait for Susan and Jennifer to arrive.  They are both from different areas of North Carolina.  Jen, Cyndi, and I are counterparts for a program that we all work on for our jobs.  The meeting is about the program.  Susan and I have known each other from our days of being trainers for ACS.  She is who taught me that "bless your heart" doesn't mean that a Southern person is actually blessing you!  It pretty much means that they are calling you an idiot, but in a nicer way.  Hearing Susan's voice reminds me that I still need to get Rosetta Stone for Southern Accents!  Everything sounds better with a touch of Southern!

Jen has never been to Chicago, Cyndi wants to see The Bean, and it is beautiful out...so we leave the hotel to explore.  First stop, The Bean.  I've never actually seen The Bean in person.  We take a few pictures and then head up Michigan Ave.  The plan is to show a little of the city, get Garrett's popcorn, and the dinner at The Purple Pig.  They all get a feel for Chicago...street beggars, ladies painted in silver making money on the street, a guy dressed like a green Spiderman doing cirque du soleil movers, a band, the sewer smell in some areas, etc.  Garrett's had a line out the door, but the smell reminded us why there is a line.  I talked them all into the Chicago mix = cheese and caramel corn mixed together..so good!  I would have kept walking, but they were getting tired, hungry, and their feet were sore.  I think it was the first time that I outlasted anyone since this journey began.  Maybe they weren't tired and they were simply trying to make me feel better about my situation...I'll take it!  We headed to The Purple Pig. Sad to say that the wait was too long.  I thought about Frontera Grill, but they are closed on Sundays.  We finally settled on Quartino's.  A few small plates, mediocre service (bless his heart), lots of laughs, and good stories.  I get really tired while sitting at the table.  My plans for doing additional work when we get back to the hotel is going down the drain quickly.  Speaking of "down the drain"...the streets of Chicago were smelling a little funky on our walk home.  I hate to think that they will remember a bad smell in one of my favorite cities!  Bed could not come soon enough.  Praying that I didn't overdue it today and will have the energy for a full day meeting tomorrow.

Up early Monday.  It's a big day!  Not only because I have an important meeting, but it's Jeff Tyler's Bertday!!  We plan to celebrate with dinner tomorrow.  I have to say that being bald has some benefits.  I get ready quickly!  Packed up my bag and head to my car that is parked a few blocks away.  Drop off my stuff and grab the baked goods to have out for breakfast and treats.  Next stop...hot Asian buns!  Really, who can resist the sign at Wow Bao?!?!  They have great bao for breakfast and I have been stopping here when I am at my Chicago office.  They really hit the spot.  Up to the 12th floor to get the room set-up, make coffee, get water, etc.  All of these people have made it possible for us to meet by coming to Chicago.  I should have done more to show my gratitude, but I did the best that my energy would allow.  Jen and Susan come in with a beautiful bag that has a hostess gift in it...a fantastic pink apron and pink kitchen tools.  They started the day off with a bang.  Staci and Julie arrive.  Mike and Bob came shortly after and the rest of the gang were not too far behind.  Fortunately, their company is based in IL, but Bob and Mike came in from Ohio.  Mike's mom is currently fighting breast cancer, so I get an update on how she is doing.  Bob's daughter's friend in high school, Taylor, has also been fighting cancer, so I get an update on her.  We proceed to have a full day meeting.  Pretty much a solid 7-8 hours with only a few short breaks.  We have a lot to figure out and many challenges to fix, but we are moving in the right direction.  The liked my baked goods, or were at least kind enough to say that they did.  Let's face it, I can't taste most things like I used to.  By the end of the day I was ready for bed and had completely hit a wall.  Bob received a call today telling him that they found out that Taylor is cancer-free...regardless of how intense today's meeting was...this is all that is really important!

We all gave hugs goodbye and headed on our way.  I am taking Julie and Cyndi to the airport.  Julie was is Chicago for a meeting last week, is headed to Atlanta, and then back home to Missouri...she's pregnant!  Staci stays to work and Susan and Jennifer stay to explore Chicago.

As we walk to the parking garage we are waiting at a light to cross and I have a man walk up to me and put his hand out towards me.  I immediately take a step back and I am alarmed.  I don't now him, he is getting in my space, and he's wearing a Sox's jersey...so he can't be safe!!  Mostly because of the Sox's jersey.  He says "don't be afraid" and proceeds to pray briefly with his hand on my shoulder.  He tells me that I will be ok.  It is an awkward moment at the time and we discussed it briefly as we walked to the car, but as I type this I tear up a bit.  This man doesn't know me, but he noticed that I was wearing a scarf and have no hair.  He was compelled to take a moment to pray for me.  So many have told me that they are praying for me, their church is praying for me, their family, friends, school, people in other countries, etc.  I pray for others, but I haven't prayed much for myself...a story for another day.  I appreciate all of the prayers that are taking place.  PLEASE keep them up!

Traffic is light today and I get Cyndy and Julie to the airport quickly! Then I head home.  It is like I have an angel on my shoulder because I'm exhausted, but traffic is not too bad...and let's face it...traffic is always bad this time of day.  When I get home I see that my parents didn't take all of the bread that I made for them, so I cut up a plate and ran some over to Mary's house.  We visited for a little while, but then I knew I needed sleep.  I've had a few nights that went way past 6:30 PM...I'm TIRED!!

XOXO!

S

Me, Susan, Jennifer, and Cyndi at the Bean!

The CUTE apron!  

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   
24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment