You Call It Hump Day, I Call It Prep Day - August 22, 2012

"Be sure to celebrate the many small things, bright days, good friends, and anything with sprinkles!"

For some reason I have grown to dislike the Wednesdays before chemo more than chemo.  Today did start with a cupcake delivery!  Mike, Gina, and Joe Adams have sent cupcakes from Omaha!  Mike and I worked together at Harrah's.  I guess you can say we "grew up" together at Harrah's.  We went through the good, the bad, and the ugly.  We always landed on our feet and did our best to laugh along the way.  It has been too long since we've seen each other, but the delivery has brightened an otherwise yucky day.  Plus, it gave me something to eat for breakfast!

My first stop is the Loyola location in Homer Glen when I get my blood drawn.  I have forgotten to put the lotion on my port, so I have to get an ice bag for a few minutes to ease the pain.  I also realized that I forgot to bring my steroids with me for the day.  UGH..pain in the morning and probably no sleep tonight when I take my steroids that need to be taken for chemo.  The nurses think I look tired...I am.  The nutritionist came out to speak with me while I attempted to numb my port.  She asked a few questions and gave a couple of suggestions.  Clearly, I did not tell her that my breakfast consisted of a delish cupcake!  The reality is that I know how to eat healthy, I love to cook, but the healthy stuff doesn't taste good.  Instead, I'd rather have donuts, chocolate, cupcakes, etc.  The nurses laughed when I said cupcakes and the we talked about who would be working in Wheaton tomorrow to get the cupcakes that I will be bringing.

After blood I headed to our Tinley Park office to work with Staci on some upcoming projects. When I get to the office Stacey P is working by the copy machine.  So, I stop to chat and see what is going on with her treatment.  She had sent an update last night, but I hadn't had a chance to read it.  Unfortunately, she's gotten some tough news, but she always handles things with such grace.  I often wonder if I would be able to digest all that she has had to.  We share some "war" stories, talk about scarfs, both take our scarves off and show our bald heads, etc.  The conversation would probably not happen by the copy machine at any other company, but it somehow works are ACS.  At one point I notice that the bookkeeper is watching us talk and listening to our odd conversation.  What are the chances that two girls under the age of 41-ish would be sharing their battles with breast cancer that started in their 20s?  I started to laugh and said "I guess we are like two little old ladies sharing their medical woes...wait, make that two little old men with our bald heads."  We all laughed.  There are points where you just have to laugh at all this craziness that has entered our lives.  

Staci and I worked until after 7 PM at the office.  We had so much to do and accomplished a ton.  The night came to an end when my body decided to simply stop.  I don't know how to really explain what happens, but my body decides when it is done and my mind doesn't have the ability to talk my body into going on.  I still have a big project to complete, but it is time to head home.  

When I arrive home there is another delivery at the door.  MORE CUPCAKES!  This is awesome because I had planned on baking but when my body shutdown I decided I would buy more cupcakes in the morning.  You see, I want to make sure that I have enough cupcakes to share with all the nurses, patients, and their families. These cupcakes were hand delivered all the way from Cardinal territory in Edwardsville.  My work WE picked them out for me...thanks, Jenna & Mary.  Oh, and Mandie for picking the Cardinal cupcake.  ;)  The Cup has officially taken the spot of The Cupcakery in my mind!  You gotta appreciate a great cake...especially when you have had one for breakfast and dinner!  (Yes, I met with a nutritionist today.)  

I took my steroids late today, so I am crawling out of my skin!  I worked another few hours, tossed and turned, flipped channels, played with Henry, checked email, messed with Facebook, pinned on Pinterest.  Literally, no sleep tonight.  I'm exhausted, but the steroids are messing with my system.  I am going into chemo tomorrow without an ounce of sleep...not a good thing.  Today I ate MORE cupcakes, but it is feeling a lot like a cancer day.  

XOXO,

S



Red Velvet from the Adams Family...snap, snap...sorry, Mike.
I couldn't resist and now that song is stuck in my head!  Miss you guys!
Dark chocolate with chocolate...OMG!

I think it is supposed to be a Cardinal...UGH...this Cubs fan wanted to smash it, but it just looks too good!
Very funny, Mandie!


The Cup - from Mary and Jenna!  Thanks, ladies!  XOXO




Dark chocolate mint...or what I like to call dinner!  DELISH!!
I wish I would have taken a better picture, but I was starving!





If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment