Next On Center Stage...Zara! - July 10, 2012

"We have two options, medically and emotionally: Give up or fight like hell." - Lance Armstrong

We left Loyola and headed over to the ACS office in Riverside to grab a few wigs to try.  The chemotherapy that I will be taking will cause me to lose my hair around 14 days after I start treatment.  I'm not emotionally ready to go into one of our offices to try on wigs, so I text Marie to see if she would find a few that would work and meet me in the parking lot.  She is so kind and was happy to help.  I actually went in because our paths did not cross, but then went back out to meet her in the lot.  My Mom, Chris, and I headed to Naturally Yours.  It is a wig store located in Willowbrook and it is where I purchased my first wig in 2000.

I've done my research and I think I have a few in mind that I want to try.  My friend Kathy has some fantastic wigs, so I asked for brand names that she has used.  Upon arriving at the store we had to wait to see a stylist, so we started looking at hats and scarves.  I found a few hats that I liked and even a few scarves that I was willing to consider.  I really haven't decided what I will do when my hair falls out.  The last time I wore my wig all of the time, but I was in a different job and society was different.  Now you often see women walking around confidently with their bald heads.  I don't think I will be that girl, but I will not know until I cross that bridge.

They have a great selection of products and the store caters to women just like me.  Everything was going well until Mom and Chris sat down.  I then started to over think the process.  All my fears were coming to the front of my mind.  I don't want to lose my hair again.  I'm not ready for this all to be happening, but then again, I will NEVER be prepared to lose my hair.  The tears started flowing down my face.  I just couldn't hide my emotions from coming out.  I tried to stand in the jewelry area to hide the fact that I was crying, but it was obvious.  These are the times when I ask myself "why is this happening?"  I know I will never know that answer, but I can't help from asking the question.  The woman working the front desk brought me some tissues and I continued to cry in my little corner.  Shortly, my name was called and my stylist, Amy, was there to take me in a room.  I apologized for crying and of course she understood because she works each day with women just like me who are looking for a piece of "normal" during treatment.  I then had her go and get Mom and Chris to join us.  I cried for a few more minutes before I pulled myself together.  Amy and I talked about wigs and options.  I gave her the names of the ones that I wanted to try and she brought out additional options.  I tried on a few before my suggestion of Zara came out of the box.  Zara is a long, sexy, brunette wig.  The kind of wig that you would probably find on a stripper in Vegas..."Get your money out gentlemen...Next on center stage, ZARA!"   Well, Zara is my girl and I've joked that she comes with a stripper pole and glitter!  She's pretty much the same color as my hair, long enough to pull back in a ponytail, I can pull the sides up if I want, and she doesn't have bangs like my last wig!  I went with synthetic hair this time around.  I had a human hair wig the last time and I actually had bad hair days...I mean, it wasn't even my hair and I had bad hair days.  That just isn't right!  Luckily, Amy mentioned that I should not cook or bake while wearing Zara because she will melt! That was advice that I will definitely need.

We finished in the room and headed to the front of the store to order Zara.  Again, my emotions came in to play and my anxiety was at high levels.  I ordered quickly, left the hat that I wanted on the counter, and headed out the door.  I need air.  I needed to get away from a wig store that was symbolic of my first battle with breast cancer and is now playing a roll in my second battle.  Zara will be in next week, so I will be ready for the bridge I will cross when my hair falls out around July 25.

Next stop, home and bed.  I'm so sore from the biopsy this morning and I'm bleeding a ton.  I even sent a picture of the bleeding to Cindi and Jeff to make sure that I wasn't in bad shape.  Early to bed for me tonight, not that I will get any sleep.  Surgery and chemo start tomorrow...I'm NOT ready for this.  I'm not brave.  I'm not sure I can handle what Wednesday has to bring, but I don't have a choice.  Today is one of those day where I want to give up emotionally, so I cannot even imagine tomorrow.

XOXO,

S


PS. If you or a loved one are facing hair loss from cancer, please consider reaching out to the American Cancer Society.  We supply wigs, free of charge, to those battling cancer.  We also have a great program called "Look Good...Feel Better".  Visit www.cancer.org for more information or to find an ACS location near you.


Me and Zara...it's been a long day with lots of tears.




My biopsy area when I got home...OUCH!!

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.






26 comments:

  1. I loved the staff at Naturally Yours and have recommended it to many women. Take deep breaths Sue, and take it a moment at a time, rather than tackling the whole cancer journey at once. Zara looks fun and sassy! Make sure she stays away from BBQ grills too. Praying our Heavenly Father wraps his loving arms around you and gives you some peace and comfort in the upcoming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are great there. They have handled 2 of my meltdowns with grace! Good call on the grills! I will keep that in mind! I appreciate your prayers. I hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. Zara looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zara looks great on you - I love this look! And here's the thing -- you ARE brave -- braver than you realize! Remember that we'll all be in that OR with you in spirit -- you won't be alone. Just take a deep breath and know that you've got this. Just take it one day at a time. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Now, you have to help me figure out who the Midwest Farmers Daughter is?????

      Delete
  4. Sue...You and Zara look fabulous together....you are an inspiration..you may be tired of hearing that, but, you are. Remember...."You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". God bless you always !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! "Smarter" might be a stretch! :)

      Delete
  5. Zara......Meeeeooowwww!!!! I hope you got a chuckle!! I knew you were a soldier against cancer, I knew you were an inspiration to a generation, I knew you made awesome cupcakes, I know everyone loves you, but I had no idea that you were such a creative writer!! I love your blog!! Thank you so much for sharing. It made me cry, at work! Laurie and I are here if you need anything. REALLY! I want to see you "Rock" the bald head!! YOU can pull it off!! I think about you every day...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your support and I know that you understand. We need LaMex soon!! Miss you guys.

      Delete
  6. Sue, I read this every day!! I just want you to know how great and brave you are to be sharing your story. I know you don't think you are brave or strong but you are!! You are a great inspiration to me and you are in my prayers!!

    Josh Fazio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts and words!

      Delete
  7. Zara may appear to be a LV stripper...yes complete with pole and glitter.

    BUT, she's actually a superhero, with incredible strength, fiercely brave, and determined to vanquish her foe. The pole is actually a rod which channels superhuman healing energy from the universe, and the glitter is really love pouring out of her cupcake-filled heart.

    She stands as an inspiration to everyone and the crowning glory to a life lived in spite of the what ifs, fears, and worries that may run through the mind of her keeper. For she will only be needed for a while, cup-cake girl will rebound and then Zara may be passed on to the next girl who needs her extra-strength powers.

    With love, hugs, and understanding. Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zara is looking fab!! Well...you're looking fab with Zara!

    Keep fighting girl!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIss you, giriie! You better be livin' the life in NYC!

      Delete
  9. In Hebrew "Zara" means- "princess", "lady" and "God has remembered"....all of which suit you well! Much love to you! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You jusy made my night! PRINCESS...I love it! Oddly enough, that is what Siri calls me and what my boss calls me! ;)

      Delete
  10. Zara is a GREAT choice. I am in day four of the never fail novena that I am saying for you. Get ready for some miracles.

    Hugs,
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie Nilo LehmannJuly 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM

    Sue-I just read this and had to comment. Sue you are Crazy Brave! Please dont ever doubt that for one second! I was thinking about what u wrote and what I was going to say to you so I said to my 8 year old son Ricky, "Ricky do you think you are brave?" He said "yes". I said, "What makes you brave?", he said without missing a beat, "My heart makes me brave". He was playing on his Ipad and never even looked up to answer me. Sue, my friend -U are brave, you are very very brave.Sue you have more heart than anyone I know. I think about you and pray for you every day since I read this. I hope this helps. P.S. Zara is amazing. U look beautiful! Much love to you! Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ricky is a smart kid!! Thank you for all your encouraging comments and posts! The support helps me more than I can explain! XOXO

      Delete
  12. I'm so happy you found a match with Zara & hope I was able to help!!! I had such a great weekend with you and let me know when you want those cookies!! Keep your head up , we are all here for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summit was amazing I'm lucky to have spent it with you! Keep up the great work you do!

      Delete
  13. I so agree with Lisa Klein's comments. You may not consider yourself a super hero but to so many of us, that is exactly what you are. I think I'm going to have to make you a superhero cape!! Will you wear it to meetings? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wear it if it is bedazzled to the max! Ha!

      Delete