Guest Blog Spot - From My Lifelong Friend - Jennifer

"The words that escape a friend's mouth are 'I'll be there when you say you need me', but the words that are unheard from a true friend's heart are 'I'll be there...whether you say you need me or not.'"


If you read my last blog you will see that I had dinner with Jennifer. http://cancerandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2012/08/your-heart-and-my-heart-are-very-very.html#links   During the dinner she asked if she would be able to be a guest blogger...OF COURSE!  The purpose of the guest blog is to allow me to have an understanding of how my journey impacts those in my life. And..let's face it, nobody is going to write bad things about me when I'm sick, so it is a no brainer to say "yes".!!  :)


I have decided that I would only read the guest blog spots when I am ready to post them.  So, you are getting this shortly after me. By coincidence, my last entry includes part of our lifelong friendship.  When you read this entry you will see that we wrote so much of the same information.    It is uncanny to see we both picked many of the same life moments to write about.  It makes me smile that we remember things in the same fashion.  I can only hope that you all have a lifelong friend that you share memories with.  Maybe you haven't talked in a while or maybe you only keep in touch on Facebook, but I hope that you would drop anything for each other when one of you is in need.  Jennifer and I have and would drop anything for each other!  I was tempted to change my name to "Susie" throughout the entire entry, but I left it as she wrote it.  Jennifer has always called me "Susie" and I would want it no other way.  To be honest, it is strange when I hear her say "Sue".  I sent Jennifer a text to see what quote she wanted at the top of this post.  She replied "We will be friends until we are old and senile, then we will be new friends."  SERIOUSLY!!!  Who would think that I would use that quote for my blog about her and then she would suggest it for this blog before the other is posted or she has had a chance to read it.  Needless to say, she had to decide on a new quote!  ;)  She also picked the same pictures from when we were kids.  

"Before I begin, I need to warn you, all of Sue’s amazing supporters, that some of the things I have to say may be meaningless to you; however, my purpose is to put a smile on Sue’s face as I summarize some of the moments we have shared together over the last 37 years of our lives.

I don’t remember the exact time, location, or circumstances when we first met; all I know is that when I was four years old, my best friend in life was Susie!  Yes, I still have her programmed in my phone under Susie and sometimes have a hard time calling her Sue.  Susie Ward and Jennifer Ward, aka Jennifer squirrel (Bill’s nickname for me), shared so much.  We lived in the same neighborhood, had the same last name (no relation - although we used to tell people we were cousins), and we were attached at the hip.  I only have a small recollection of those days.  The days as children where we ran around barefoot, played softball at the pump house, built tents in the summer and igloos in the winter, and had to be home when the street lights were on.  We sold lemonade and my grandfather’s sweet corn.  Sometimes our day was filled making fun of our neighbor, Tracy Hakey.  We always ganged up on her and said Tracy wipes her nose with her last name.  Trust me, it was funny at the time; we were so cool!  I had my dog Cuddles who followed us everywhere and she had her dog, Heidi Pearl.  This family and their nicknames, gotta love them.  Susie and I started kindergarten together and graduated from College of St. Francis together, nothing in between.  She went to grade school at St. Andrews and high school at St. Francis and I went to public schools.  Susie and I made new friends along the way, but we always remained close.  Even if a lot of time passed and we did not talk, we could always pick up where we left off.  We have shared good times and bad times.  These are some that sick in my memory…

When Sue was in high school, she had asked me to borrow my brand new one piece, pink stripped bathing suit.  Of course I let her.  On that day, Sue was involved in a terrible car accident where she was thrown through the windshield.  Mom and I rushed to the hospital where we met her parents.  Brenda had told me that they wanted to cut the bathing suit off of Sue’s body because they didn’t want to move her.  She refused to let them because it was her friend’s brand new suit.  She is always thinking of others.

Ok on to a happier memory.  After graduating college, I was expecting my first child.  My beautiful blonde hair, blue-eyed daughter Taylore came into this world and I had no doubt that her Godmother would be my lifelong friend, Susie.  Taylore is 18 now and Susie has been a SPECTACULAR Godmother.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being around for her, bringing her shopping, to get pedicures, and loaning her jewelry and shoes!  Good thing we are all a size 6, shoe that is.  Ha ha.

Time passed and I had not talked to Sue in a while.  One day I called her with an important question, “Will you be a bridesmaid in my wedding?”  Her response, “Who are you marrying?”  When I told her (I won’t mention the name), she replied, “I was hoping you would say anyone but him, but of course I will for you!”  Sue gets to play the “I told you so card” on that one.  I love you for giving me your honest opinion, but still supporting me regardless.
On to 1998, I was pregnant with my second daughter and ended up delivering 14 weeks early.  It was the middle of winter and my daughter was at Rush for 2 months.  Besides family, only a couple of friends were allowed to visit.  Sue was one of them of course.  It was such an emotional time and Sue never ceases to amaze me; whenever I need her, she is there for me!  Her support means the world to me.

The first time Sue found out she would have to battle breast cancer, I found out from Brenda.  She had called my parent’s house and I had answered.  When I asked her how everyone was, she said, “Haven’t you talked to Sue?”  She filled me in on everything and Sue was having surgery the next day.  My mom and I were there; we had to be there for her – no doubt about it!  We waited with Brenda, Bill, Chris, Gina and Stephanie.  The surgery was longer than expected and the outcome not what we had hoped.  Sue would have to undergo chemo and radiation.  It wasn’t fair that my beautiful, loving friend had to endure this.  Cancer sucks!

I sent Sue a text in June of this year asking her if she was still up to making her amazing cupcakes for Taylore’s graduation party.  She responded, “They think my cancer is back.”  Tears filled my eyes and l lie in bed and cried.  How can this happen again?  Sue kept me updated on her doctor appointments, etc.  When she was ready for her first round of chemo, it happened that I had an appointment the same day at Loyola.  It seems like fate, that I could be there with her!  I was lucky to spend time with Sue and the rest of her gang, same group that was there for her first surgery 11 years ago – minus Bill.  As usual, Sue was a trooper; she made all of us, as well as the nurses, smile and laugh.  She was upbeat and was trying to make the best of a shitty day.   Her smile and spirit shine no matter what!  I am so proud of her strength and I am honored that she let me be with her that day.

Ok, Bill is probably saying, “Ok Jennifer squirrel, wrap it up!”   I just have one more thing to share.  The other night Sue and I met up for some drinks, seared tuna, a wedge, and donuts.  Sounds good, huh?  It was amazing actually.  Thank you Sue for introducing me to Truth and Home Cut.  When the night was over, I gave Sue a hug (I apologized ahead of time).  We both had tears in our eyes, and of course Sue wanted to comfort me.  She said, “I will be fine”.  I looked at her and said, “I know, I have no doubt of that.  I am 100% sure that you will beat this.  I just hate to see you go through everything again.” 

A promise to my dear friend.  We will be friends for another 37+ years.  We will continue to share good times and bad.  Please know that I will always be there for you.  I love you SUSIE!"

Love you tons, Jennifer.  Thank you for you support.  
Call, text, or email your old friends today.  Life is too short, challenges are too difficult, and true friendship will endure all obstacles.

XOXO,

S




If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    That was amazing....I am crying like a baby. Thank you for sharing your memories with us!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the one have always don't have good memories, But while sharing memories it will give some others power live the life. If you are a student don't fear about the writing works choose a best custom thesis writing service provider from online.

    ReplyDelete