MORE Cupcakes than Cancer...July 30 - 31, 2012

"A smile is a woman's best accessory, sequins are appropriate no matter the occasion & some days simply require a glass of champagne." - Taylor Sterling

Ok, so I haven't had champagne since my head shaving party, but I do love the above quote. And my parents paid big money for braces, that I hated as a kid in grade school, so I try to wear my smile wherever I go.  And let's face it, sequins ARE always appropriate.  I'm happy to report that there's nothing to blog about from Monday. That's right, people...I had a normal day of working too much and going to bed too early. I'm sure you are all jealous of my exciting life!?!? Don't worry, my week gets better.

Tuesday is a busy day. Probably one of the busier days that I have had in a long time. Fortunately, this is my "good week". I started off by getting ready and driving o my Chicago office. Let me just say that I get ready much faster without hair. It was a hot morning so I decided that Zara would come a long as a passenger and I would put her on in the parking garage. We were a funny sight driving in on 55...me with my bald head and Zara on her styrofoam head in the passenger seat with my hat next to her. I can only imagine what the truck drivers were thinking when they looked down on us. Even funnier to think of the people that saw me put Zara on in the parking garage. I used the side window as my 'mirror' and put her on outside of the car. There just wasn't enough room inside. Today is spent at work in meetings planning out RFL Leadership Summit that takes place in September. This is the one event that is stressing me out more than any other thing in my job. Summit is a huge undertaking, a large expense, and our #1 opportunity to set the Relay For Life stage for the coming year. Our fundraising has not been the greatest in 2012, so we need to make a huge impact for 2013. Summit allows us to train staff & volunteers, show a great experience, introduce new concepts & products, and get everyone pumped up for 2013! It is the largest event that my work WE pulls off. We have meetings, work with the amazing volunteers, put together a strategy, plan, plan, plan, and then execute. The thing is that once we get to the hotel for Summit I can usually expect about 10 hours of total sleep over the 4 day period. 10 hours might be an exaggeration...it may be more like 8, but 10 sounds like a nice round number. Not only do we get very little sleep, but we walk a million miles, lift boxes, do the stairs non-stop, etc. ...ok, now I am freaking yself out even more! Since I first heard that I would have chemo I have been nervous about Summit. I just know that I will not be up to par with the level of work that I am accustomed to doing. My team, our volunteers, and many of the ACS staff have offered to help me with anything that they can. I know that Summit will be great, but I HATE that I will not be 100%. I HATE that I will not have my standard level of energy, my high level of attention for detail, or my strategic thinking cap on for Summit. Today we had to talk about "what ifs"...What if I am too tired to get it all done? What if I can't make Summit? What if I can't do all of the baking that I usually do? What if I need a nap? The list of "what ifs" made me frustrated and sad, but I know that people are there to help. I just need to allow the help to happen and maybe give up a little control of things that my body will simply not agree to.

The room we are meeting in is hot andI just can't get comfortable. I'm feeling well, the conversation we are having is strategic (ok, I had a hard time staying focuse and I'll blame it on chemo, but I have always been that way), the planning is going great, but Zara is hot and uncomfortable. I started messing with her and then Keri asked if she could see my head before I leave. Ok, well, why not now? I'm ready to get this thing off, so off she came. FRESH AIR!!! Everyone in the room was ok with me sitting the bald, or at least they didn't say differently. I am sure that they were tired of me scratching my head the rest of the day, but I can't help it...it itches. I had to laugh a few times when the door was left open and when people knocked on the door. YIKES...I'm bald! It felt good to be surrounded by people who understand and accept what is happening in my life. My work WE continues to amaze me and show support every step of the way.

On my way home I stopped and had dinner with Kevin and Mrs. Kickels at Harrison's. I was exhausted, but excited to see both of them. I still carry some guilt with me from over a year ago. Kevin's dad passed away and I had to go out of town for work. I was torn about going, but knew that I had to be at the meeting as a major part of my job. I tried making changes to my work agenda, but couldn't make things happen in the right in timeframe. It was one of those moments that I needed to be in two places at once and I chose work...work should never come before family in situations like this. I have regretted that decision since it happened. I should have been by the Kickels' family side in person, but I hope they know that I was there in my heart. Kevin said that he completely understood and it helps that he travels for work, but there's a huge part of me that doesn't really understand. Big John was family to me and I certainly would not give up dinner plans with Kevin and Sweet Peg! Kev calls her "Sweet Peg", but I will always stick with Mrs. Kickels.

Harrison's is one of Kevs favorite spots because he is friends with the owner who is a sweetheart. It was great to see all three of them. And I think they even liked Zara! Mrs. Kickels brought me an amazing gift. She quilts regularly and made me a special quilt. Let's face it, I've wanted one of her quilt for years, so I am happy to make the list. The quilt is PERFECT for me. She called and ordered cupcake material from the store. When she arrived at the store for the material it had cupcakes AND pink ribbons on it...clearly, I was meant to get this quilt. And she even had enough material to make a table runner. Kev is a HUGE Bears fan and he brought me the Bears pink ribbon pin. They do a breast cancer campaign each year and I always try to get a shirt. Hey, Kristin, put me down for a medium when you place your order. The night was great. We talked about family, memories, and good times. We laughed!! I've known Kevin and his family since college. I've had some great times with the Kickels Clan over the years. They all give so much support, but that's what the Irish do! Well, some of us drink too, but support and prayers are very high on the list! :) I felt badly leaving because I wanted to stay longer to chat, but my body is calling the shots these days. One thing I learned from the first battle with chemo...listen to your body or you'll regret it for days. My body is telling me to get to bed and it is also telling me I'm pretty tired for the ride home.

When I arrived home from the day there was a beautiful pink box on the table. It says "Please don't shake my cupcakes"...hmmmm...I wonder what it can be?!?! In case you haven't guessed...it is CUPCAKES! Not just any cupcakes, but Georgetown Cupcakes http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/ . They are BEAUTIFUL. Little works of art and the packaging is fantastic! They put a lot of effort in to shipping these beauties! I great surprise! The card simply says the following:

"Amazing Sue,
So your day can be more about cupcakes!
Your Relay friends around the globe"


I don't know who ordered them and sent them my way, but I can tell you that I appreciate them and they taste AMAZING!!!  The acts of kindness that I have received from so many have made a huge impact on my journey and I promise that I will pay it forward on everything.

Overall, a good day with great people! 

And YES!!!!!..today was more about CUPCAKES than cancer!


XOXO,


S

It's Take Your "ZARA" To Work Day...perfect timing!



The cupcake & pink ribbon quilt from Mrs. Kickels.

Up close!



Cupcakes from my Relay friends around the globe!  DELISH!








9 comments:

  1. Sue:

    What an amazing quilt to help you through your journey!

    When my Dad was going through chemo last year, I made him a flece blanket with "Inspiration Patches" on it. The purpose of the patches was to have visiting friends and family write inspirational messages to him to get him through the toughest days as he snuggled up with the blanket. It helped immensely!

    Maybe a thought for the back of your Cupcake Quilt".
    Hugs! Kim and Boyd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thank you for the note. I love the idea you had for your Dad. I remember him fondly. I hope that you and your family are doing well. I catch you every so often on Undercover Boss reruns...so cool!

      Delete
  2. 1. Summit will be fantastic.
    2. Cancer doesn't take over your energetic and upbeat self. You are SUE! And that is who you will always be- nothing can change that.
    3. Keep having that same attitude
    4. I LOVE YOU :)

    Keep smiling- it is electrifying!
    (awkward- that rhymed)

    Miss your beautiful self!

    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girlie! I hope you are feeling well. Summit will be amazing because we have a wonderful team! I can't wait to see you then. I hope you are having a great summer. Miss ya!! XOXOXO

      Delete
  3. LIKE LIKE LIKE that quilt! How awesome! And you are right, your energy will take you to whatever you need to do during Summit. The lack of energy happens and WE WILL be there to help you and...some of us more than others probably....will tell you to sit down, relax, and let us pick up the slack! And when I say sit down missy, you do! LOL (imagine me shaking my short little finger at you!) Everything will go just fine at Summit and if the 'What If's' happen...they happen and things will still go on. WE won't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please know that I'm the one who doesn't want to let all of you down!!! You all are amazing, summit will be wonderful, but I worry that I will drop the ball or disappoint all of you. My mind forgets words now..I may forget my own name by the end of September. I promise that this is 100% about my fear of not supporting all of you the way that I should. Bit I know you all will make it as great as ever! Xoxo!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Chris. WE've got your back. Summit will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vickie! I know you all do!! I just need to have your backs too! You all are a wonderful WE!!! Have a great day!

      Delete