Hello, Monday! - July 23, 2012


"Dear Monday,
Thanks for having the word "mon" in you.  That's French for "mine".  In case you weren't aware, Monday, but it makes me think of you as "my day", and frankly that sounds like a much more promising start to the week."

It's Monday...I working all day and then I have a meeting at 4 PM in Naperville and dinner with a friend.  My hair is falling out, so I wait until the afternoon to get ready.  I didn't want to disturb it too much and lose a lot before I walk out the door.  No such luck!  Half was now gone. So, I gently put it in a ponytail (my signature look) and put a cute headband in place.  Then I poofed it to the best of my ability.  My head hurts so I didn't mess with it too much.

I think it might be time to really start thinking about what I am going to do.  I have thrown out the idea of the Head Shaving 'Party", but I don't know if I can go through with it...maybe if I start making plans I will make the best of this crappy situation. 

Here is a series of text that went out to Stephanie, Cindi, Gina and Kim.  I really hope that they don't get mad at me for posting what the text were...it is just harder to explain the stories without it. Group text allow us all to stay in the same conversation:


Picture I sent:
Half my hair on the bathroom counter.  :(

Me:  Looks like Wednesday or Thursday will work for me  (emoticon sad face and pile of poop)

Stephanie: (5 piles of poop) I'm ready.  Pick the nite and let's do it.  Either is fine with me.

Me:  Wait...I think Gina loses that much hair when she washes hers.  SO, maybe I'm just thinning.  Glad you guys are ready.  F' This.  I'm not!

Stephanie: How does it look!  Same??  Just feels thinner??

Me:  Yes.  But it pulls out if you touch it.  So I just kind of dried it and put it in a pony.

Kim:  OMG. We'll rally the troops and will be there to support you.  Love u Sue. XOXO

Stephanie: Tomorrow is day 13.  Of course that side effect is prompt! (8 thumbs down)

Me: This shit better be working!

Stephanie:  IT IS...!!!!! (3 flexed biceps)

Gina: (sad face and 3 piles of shit) I think either nite works.

Gina: And yes...I do lose that much...but I think u r supposed to lose about 100 strands per day...that wud b about 300 or 400 for me depending on how many days I wait to wash

Gina: And I am with Steph...it is working!!! (3 flexed biceps)

GIna: I had to do that so my biceps look like steph's!

Stepahnie: Ha

Me:  I love you girls!!!

Stephanie:  Yes we know...but WE love U sooo much more!!!! (smiley face with heart eyes)

Kim: Got pulled into a meeting...yes it IS working beeoth! No thinking otherwise!!

Cindi chimed it to say name the place and time.  Of course, I chose her place.  She has a great yard, so we wouldn't have to make a mess in the house.

Next stop, GM in Naperville.  Ann and I are meeting with Chevrolet to talk about their partnership with Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.  Chevy has a national partnership with the American Cancer Society and we are excited to see how we can all work together.  Ann is being a great support and said yes when I asked her to join us.  This should be 100% my job and meeting to run, but my thought process is messed up, I can't think of words, etc.  So I asked her for back-up.  If you know Ann, you know that she's not good at playing second seat and she will run the meeting...exactly what I need, but I was trying not to ask.  I am frustrated to no end with my inability to think strategically and come up with words for this littlest things.  I think it is from stress and maybe a little from chemo.  

One good thing about meeting with Chevy is that there is a friendly face when we get there.  My friend, Adrian, works for Chevy and will be on the team that I am working with.  She knows what is happening and I had already warned her about my hair.  So, I didn't feel too strange when we arrived.  And Adrian is just plain fun, so you can't be down when around her.  Once the manager who we were also meeting with arrived in the room I felt at ease.  Super nice guy with a positive attitude and he is bald...and it looks great on him!  I like bald men...there's an amazing confidence about them.  The meeting was great!  Ann was on her game, I was able to learn from her, but also be a part of the meeting and feel like I was somewhat holding my own.  Adrian and Paul are completely on board with fighting breast cancer with us!  I have some homework, but all is good.  Adrian was texting before I was out of the parking lot...she has ideas and I am super excited.  She makes me smile!

Next stop...dinner with Michael (MLK).  I haven't seen him in too long, so we have a ton to catch up on.  His job, his nephew, his family, recipes, etc.  Michael and I met a few years ago when he volunteers for ACS and sat on our Board of Directors.  He always makes me laugh!  We share a love of cooking and eating...what more can you ask for?!?!  So, we grab a few appetizers and cold beverages and catch up.  It was a great time with a truly good person.  He may just be quirkier than I am!  I love that!  Ohhh...and he's not a hugger, but we always hug hello and goodbye...a little bit of awkward hugs, but hugs.  :)

Of course, heading to bed on the early side tonight.  It is HOT and it's been a long, but mostly great day. 

XOXO,

Sue


PS.
If you or a loved one are facing hair loss from cancer, please consider reaching out to the American Cancer Society.  We supply wigs, free of charge, to those battling cancer.  We also have a great program called "Look Good...Feel Better".  Visit www.cancer.org for more information or to find an ACS location near you.


No comments:

Post a Comment