Weekend Forecast...Mostly Rest With a Much Needed Dose of Fun! My TMMA WE! July 28 & 29, 2012

"Here's your hat, what's your hurry?"

As of this morning I have a pretty uneventful weekend planned.  Probably mostly rest, but I need to get some errands done.  It seems like the last month has only been full of work, doctors' appointments, procedures, chemo, etc.  I have so much to do, but not the energy to do it all.

Saturday morning starts with breakfast with my Mom, Momo (my grandma), and my sister. We go to a place in Lockport that looks cute from the outside, but not as cute when we get there.  They are waiting for me when I arrive.  Another hot day, so I have decided not to invite Zara to breakfast.  Just me in a hat with a scarf.  This is the first time that I have seen my Grandma since I found out that my cancer had returned and now she is seeing me without my hair.  My Grandma is 90, so I don't think that she was very concerned about my lack of hair.  I wish that I could say the same thing about others at the restaurant.  Maybe it was just me, but I felt like people were staring at me.  I have on my Under Armor breast cancer hat and shirt, so I am sure that they all figured it out. but it is still strange to feel like people are looking at me.  It may just be that I have not reached a comfort level with being bald and I think they are looking when they really are not, but who knows.  We had a  simple breakfast and then we went in our different directions.  

My next stop was Von Maur and hat shopping.  If you know me well, you know that Von Maur is my happy place.  Their ONLY interest is ME!!!  What more can I ask for in a relationship!?!?  ;)  I'm simply here to make returns, but it still puts me in a good mood.  I returned some makeup at the makeup counter and it was an odd reaction that I received.  The lady that I always work with offered to work with my eyebrows when I lose them.  She knows my passion for brows!  I hate even thinking about losing my brows.  I'm eyebrow obsessed, so this is an area that stresses me out.  Before I headed home I had to pick up a prescription and I headed to Hobby Lobby to grab some scarves to wear under may hats.  I ran in to Colleen at the store.  Colleen and I workout together. I see her in the store and almost went the other way because I was nervous about being seen without hair.  I then thought that was crazy!  I miss my TMMA family, so this is a perfect time to say hello.  I ran a few more errands and then headed to bed.  I simply do not have the energy that I usually have.  Saturdays would typically be filled with going to Relays, shopping, the farmer's market, dinner with friends, working out, etc.  Yet, today I am content with getting in bed at 3:30 PM.  Yes...you read that correctly...3:30 PM!!  UGH...who am I??  

Fortunately, the Olympics are on.  I received a text from my friend Rich Green who wants to know when he and Michelle can take me hat shopping.  With a little bit of knowledge of how my body reacts to chemo, I know that we either go this weekend or we have to wait a couple of weeks. Rich is one of the funniest guys that I have met in a very long time.  He started working out at TMMA a little over a year ago.  I remember the day that he started.  We were all worried about the big guy that had clearly not worked out in years.  Rich has completely changed his life and health by being dedicated to himself.  He has grown into a confident workout machine!  He runs races, pushes himself regularly, motivates others, avoids fruit at all cost, and makes me laugh regularly!  Rich has been sending me funny text ever since I stopped working out.  He keeps a smile on my face when I have days that make it hard to get out of bed.  Michelle is a dear friend of Rich's that I have had the honor to get to know through him.  She is as sweet and funny as Rich.  They make a good pair that compliment each other well.

We decided that tomorrow will work for the trip to his hat shop in the city.  The plan is an early morning pick-up, brunch, hat shopping, etc.  It all sounds fabulous, but a little exhausting.  I'm glad I got in bed early.  It cracks me up that Rich has "his hat shop".  How could I decline an offer to shop for hats with a hat connoisseur!?!?  I did tell him that I wouldn't be able to go if there was a "Murder, She Wrote" marathon on.  I have a love for the ridiculousness of the show.  Seriously, if Jessica Fletcher ever gets invited to your home or town LEAVE before she gets there.  Somebody always dies and she still gets a ton of invites.  

As luck would have it there was a "Murder, She Wrote" marathon on Sunday morning, but I still decided to go hat shopping.  After all, it will still be on when I get home and I have probably seen all of the episodes.  So, I head to Rich's to pick him and Michelle up for the day.  He thinks he is going to drive, but knows that I am a control freak, so that is not an option.  I've never been to Rich's home, but I know that it is close to TM Martial Arts where we work out.  I have to laugh when I see just how close it is...he should be walking to the gym!!  Of course, I gave him a hard time when they got in to the car.  Who walks to the gym we they live that closely???  He has as many reasons to not walk to the gym as he has for not eating kiwi..."A" for effort, my friend!  Michelle brought me some Nioxin to use to thicken my hair as it grows back.  It says for "thinning hair" on the box...Michelle, I think that I am more than "thinning", but you are the professional.  I can honestly say that I am nervous about using it, but I will try anything at this point.  Michelle is no stranger to cancer.  Her sister fought cancer in the fall and used the shampoo during the process.  She comes from a long line of hair dressers, so she definitely knows more than I do!  

It is an absolutely beautiful day in Chicago!  We start with brunch at Ann Sather.  As I type this, I am thinking about the cinnamon rolls they serve...simply AMAZING!!  After lunch we head to Goorin Bros. Hat Shop.  This is one of Rich's favorite hat stores in the city.  He knows the history and has many hats from there.  The shop is almost exactly what I had pictured, but CUTER!!  Picture, if you will, a lot of woodwork, fantastic hats, older than Sinatra (my favorite) music, hardwood floors, etc.  It is beautiful.  Just a small place, but cute.  Apparently we were early and they had accidentally left the doors open, but the staff were kind enough to not kick us out before they officially opened.  My next dilemma was that I am wearing Zara.  I planned well and brought her box and a bag to carry her in, but I had convinced myself that there would be a dressing room to change in.  Not sure why I thought there would be a dressing room at a hat shop, but in my mind there would be.  So, here I am standing in this cute little store wondering how I am going to get Zara from my head gracefully to start trying on hats.  I was a little nervous about taking her off...this is all strange because Rich is bald (ing), Michelle has shaved a few women's heads who were going through treatment, and one of the shop employees shaves her head as part of her "style"....so, I clearly should be comfortable here!  Off came Zara in the middle of the store!  In the middle of the store...yikes!  I quickly put her in her box, into the bag, and on to the chair.  Only Michelle, Rich and I were in the store front at that point, but I didn't worry about that.  I do wonder what the shop employees thought when they came out and saw my bald melon, but they didn't say a word.  We tried on almost every hat in the shop.  My head is still tender so it hurt to try on so many, but the hats are really cute!  All of the summer hats are 50% off...BONUS!!  Rich picks out the first hat that I actually love and decide to get.  I tried on a few that make me look like a conehead, I question the person who thinks a fedora looks attractive on women, and I fall in love with some winter wool hats that I know would be a bad purchase.  The store started getting busy, but I didn't even care that they were all seeing me bald.  Finally, I am comfortable in public with my bald head.  Rich bought me the hat that he picked out.  I bought it in a different color and then a black hat for every day!  SUCCESS at the cute, little hat store!  I thought I would leave looking like Jessica Fletcher, but left with a great hat on my head and Zara in the bag!  Shopping was followed by drinks outside at Wild.  Rich "checked in" on Facebook, so I received a suggestion from Caitlyn to go to Pacluigo for gelato.  You have to love a facebook suggestion from New York City for a gelato place on the street you are standing on in Chicago....makes me smile to think about it.  If you go to try it, please get the pistachio, extra dark chocolate, salted caramel, and chocolate hazelnut...yes, I tried them ALL...well, I tried about 12 flavors and they were all amazing...plus the spoons were small and I tipped the guy for all his efforts.  What a GREAT day!

After our day in the city I went and did a few laps in Jeff and Cindi's pool.  I'm exhausted from just a few simple laps.  They were in WI and they brought home cheese from Mars Cheese Castle...another place that you should ALL go to if you are heading to Milwaukee from Chicago.  They have great bloody Mary's and their port wine & cheddar cheese is delish!

To say I had a good weekend would be an understatement. I continue to be reminded that I have amazing people in my life, but it also reminded me that one major thing is missing...  

I MISS WORKING OUT out and I miss my TM Martial Arts family.  I have been doing the ultimate fitness challenge for over 2.5 years now...it consists of 3 days a week of kickboxing and 3 days a week of strength straining.  I'm not very good at it, but I gave it my all (most days) and felt better because I worked out.  It was my #1 daily routine, it was my reason to wake up at 5 AM, it was my extended family, it was my release from stress, it was what I thought would help me ward off cancer for many years to come.  I know that being overweight is associated with recurrence of breast cancer, so I thought I was helping reduce my risk.  

I joined the studio with a friend and thought that I would hide in the back and pray not to die during class for my first 10 week session.  I thought I would roll out of bed, not make eye contact and not make new friends.  In the long run I have found that working out was needed in my life, rolling out of bed is completely acceptable at TMMA, and I made many dear friends along the way.  TMMA is a family...they are my workout WE.  People from all walks of life simply under the same roof to get in shape.  People that truly care about each other, support each other, and cheer each other on.  Who thought a small martial arts studio could impact the lives of so many?  We've been through some tough times together. People that joined to get back in shape from fighting cancer, to relieve stress from a bad relationship or divorce, to pull their lives out of a rut, to deal with a midlife crisis, etc.  We all have an individual story, but we also have a family story.  We had a terrible tragedy last Fall when one of our TMMA family members was killed in a car accident, but everyone pulled together to support all that were impacted by the loss.  Many say that I am strong battling cancer, but I will never reach the strength of a mother that loses a child and goes on each day.  I have seen the strength in action these past months as Neda walks in to TMMA each time.  She has set an example for all to follow and has taught me more than I can ever explain.   I truly believe that Theresa looks down on us with her wonderful smile knowing that we will all support each other and will all be ok.  

My TMMA WE has been an instrumental part of my journey.  Your "don't quit" attitude is just what a girl needs when she's fighting a disease like cancer.  Your emails, texts, cards, gifts, etc. are all greatly appreciated.  BUT I mostly appreciate your friendships and support.  I want to visit so badly, but it breaks my heart that I can not workout there at this time and it is just too hard to walk in the door.  I don't think that I can explain my desire for Alison's extra, extras, cranky Tim at 6 AM (even though I've heard he's been in a great mood lately), burpees, half-time, fitness progress checks, getting rained on by Bill, etc.  Ok, maybe not burpees, but I miss everything else!  

While I'm busy getting well, let's keep a few things straight...


  • the bag by the door is "mine" and I will beat you all to it when I start up again
  • enjoy this winter and the below 0 days with the door closed because Stephanie & I will open it next winter to cool off
  • bring a towel to circuits...your sweat is just icky
  • ab rippers do not belong in class because we should not be touching when we are dripping in sweat or when my partner is standing over me dripping in my mouth!  EEEWWW
  • Tim, Alison, Bridget, Ms. Natalie...keep up the great things you do at TMMA
 Miss you all tons...can't wait to get back.

A few people have mentioned that they haven't had the desire to workout lately or that they just aren't motivated...PLEASE work out!!  Do it for YOU...there is nobody more important than YOU.  And if you join TM Martial Arts...use my name as a reference!!  I'll need the discounts to join up again when all this crap is over!  ;) 

XOXO,

S

PS.
For more about the importance of diet and activity and the cancer connection, please visit http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/DietandPhysicalActivity/diet-and-physical-activity
Me as "Jessica Fletcher" on Murder, She Wrote.  Rich made this to make fun of my obsession.  ;)
I did try on a hat like this.


Rich and I with our new hats!!



Michelle and her family full of hairdressers.   From left to right - Jessica, Michelle, Katie, and Shannon. 



2 comments:

  1. I like your "Jessica Fletcher" photo. At first glance, I thought it was Rue McClanahan from the Golden Girls. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that! Rich also compared me to Rue with a side-by-side shot that he posted of me on Facebook. Check it out...it's pretty funny! CLEARLY, Rich has too much time on his hands at work. :)

    ReplyDelete