Word of the Day - Exhaustipated! - August 13-15, 2012

"We only realize how short and precious life is when we see it over our shoulders."

The week is starting off a little slowly. Well, maybe it is me who is moving slowly. I overestimated my ability to get things done this weekend and rebound quickly. At most other points in my life I can juggle a hundred things, bake, cook, clean, run errands, shop, etc. But this weekend proved to be more than my body was ready to handle. Monday is spent working and not being very active. It is a rainy and gloomy day, so I am sure that the weather is impacting my spirit as much as my activity did.  My Mom has also been helping clean the house lately, but she has stopped wearing her "cleaning outfit"...I guess I shouldn't have told all who read the blog about what she wears.  I kind of miss her skinny legs, granny underwear and gym shoes!  ;)

When I cleaned the house I remembered that I still had a squirrel cage in my attic. Don't worry...I would never harm an animal. I simply needed to rescue the little guy over the winter and forgot to take the cage back down and return it to Smitty. So, I dropped it off over lunch. It is always good to see Smitty and his big smile. Eric was in his driveway, so I was able to see them both briefly. After that, I dropped off meatloaf, potatoes, and beans at Mary's home. Then back to work for the day. I'd love to say that my day was full of activity, but it was simply full of work, a couple of errands, and then my bed. Yet another day of going to bed around 6:30. I really don't sleep much, but I flip channels and relax. My body just needs to recharge.


Tuesday is spent working, again..I think we all just work too much. Who was it that decided we should have a 2 day weekend and a 5 day work week?? Seems a little backwards to me...even a 3 day weekend with a 4 day work week would be great. But I have to pay the bills and must have insurance. Speaking of bills, I opened a few hospital bills today...if cancer doesn't make you sick, seeing the cost of having cancer certainly will! It is impressive to see the cost of an MRI, chemo or other tests. I think I choked a little when I opened them...then I piled them up nicely and walked away. Sometimes, I just need to walk away from the financial stressers. This is one of those times...

After work I stopped to say goodbye to Alaina. She's one of my favorite "kids"...well, not so much of a kid anymore. She's off to University of Iowa in the morning. It seems like just yesterday Gina and I were babysitting her and shopping at the mall. Alaina had a great knack of starring at people and just taking it all in while listening in on their conversations. Now she is grown and ready to head out to see what the world has to offer. Two cars packed with all the things you could possibly need in a college dorm (and more!). I thought I'd be a little sad to see her go. Then I thought about how excited I was for all the possibilities that she has coming her way. She knows that she can always call me for bail money, but she's a great young lady who will never need to take me up on that offer! Have fun, Aliana...but don't grow up too fast!  May I suggest the "the 7 year plan"...the real world is overrated!

I always wanted to go away to college or live downtown Chicago. I have often regretted that I stayed in the same two towns my entire life. Yep, made the BIG move 6.4 miles from my parents' home.  When I worked at Harrah's I had some opportunities to move for my career, but somewhere along the way I decided that I would never leave for money. Maybe love would have come my way and I would have left for that, but my family and friends were here...are here. I often think about what my life would entail if I were fighting cancer away from my solid support network. Who would be there to go to treatment, to help through it all? I never really expanded my wings to fly far from the nest...I guess that is a good thing because I could not go through this without all the support that I have.

After the quick goodbye I head over to visit with Bill and Suzanne. I have not seen them in weeks. They were in Atlanta for baseball and then oversees for a family vacation. Suzanne was a little shocked when I arrived. She thought that I was going to look really "sick". The reality is that I don't feel like I look sick and it is amazing what a lot of concealer and bronzer can do! ;) I look a little fluffy and definitely bald, but not completely "sick" yet. Last time around I was a lovely shade of grayish-yellow. I still have eyebrows, most of my eyelashes and an ok skin color...so, I don't have the look that makes people wonder. We had a nice chat while sitting at the table on their patio. I stayed a little later than planned. Well, not after dark, but after my normally scheduled bedtime. It was good to see them both and catch up on things that are happening in their lives and with the kids. They truly are nice people who make me smile.

Wednesday: Early to bed. Early to rise. Today is another busy day at work. I'm spending a lot of time working on the ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer program for my job. I can honestly say that it is surreal working on the program that is impacting my life so greatly. It is a little overwhelming holding conversations with people about the event...it is emotional. Today I should have been in the city for a meeting, but Ann made it possible for me to phone in. The little things like this that are helping so much. Travel to and from the city and then back to a work event tonight would have been exhausting.

I head to Cemeno's for the Making Strides Kickoff that I am working tonight. The Kickoff allows for ACS to invite individuals in to learn about the event and engage them in forming a team and fighting back against breast cancer with fundraising. I am wearing my "hug for my head" and green and pink t-shirt Strides. It worked out well that they match. I'm still short on scarves because I didn't think I was going to like them so much. I know a lot of people that attend the event. So, my night is full of hugs and stories. A couple of people that are there didn't realize that I was battling bc again, so I have to fill them in. It is always great to see friendly faces - Bridget, Rob & Pam, Cindi, Steve, Sam & Kelly, Steve, Gail, Cousin Krissy, all the ACS staff...a lot of people I know and I am sure that I am forgetting to list some. Rob and Pam had told me that they were registering a team in my honor. Pam has battled cancer herself and has been a very kind support via email over the past few weeks. Rob and I work out together, but I have only met Pam at Relay, so it is amazing that they have chosen to do the event. To say that I am honored would be an understatement. Luke came to volunteer for hours that he needs at school. I was surprised to see that Cindi was with him when he walked in the door. I couldn't figure out why she was hanging around and then she told me that the Divas (my girls) were forming a team to show their support. Of course, I teared up. We Relayed for years, but lives had gotten busy the past few. I am happy to hear that they are forming a team...WE are forming a team. I honestly don't know if I will be able to physically be at the walk because it is 3 days after my 5th round of chemo, but I will definitely be there in spirit!  The strange reality is that I should be celebrating 12 years of being cancer free on the weekend of the Strides event in Joliet.  Things have certainly changed over the past couple of months.

I sat in the back of the room to hear all that was said in the Kickoff. I help plan the Kickoffs across the state, but hadn't had the opportunity to sit through an event. I saw Kim at one of the tables halfway though the event. She snuck in on me!  Three survivors shared their stories. Three women from different walks of life with different battles...all with the same cause...all want to see a stop to this damn disease. At the end I spoke with them and thanked them for sharing their stories and for being involved with ACS. All women that I do not know, but all that showed concern because they can clearly see that I am in the middle of treatment. One knows my friend Stephanie and remembers my last battle. Another is there with her friend who has terminal cancer. She and I spoke for a few minutes and I gave her the information on where to get the "hug for her head". I can't help but wonder how I would feel in her shoes and I often wonder if I am actually in the same shoes, but just don't know it yet. Only time will tell, but not a day goes by that I don't think about it.

Tonight, 19 teams signed up for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of Joliet. Maybe you would like to join us or donate to my team. If so, please go to this link http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY13IL?px=1931671&pg=personal&fr_id=47491  We would love to see you at Joliet Speedway on Oct. 7! I won't even admit how long it took me to set up the page on the website...I just keep telling myself that I am smarter than Convio, but I have yet to prove it after working with it for years.  

I had a cute box delivered today and it is full of fun scarves that I can wear over the coming months...it's like Lisa Romani was reading my mind when I thought I needed more scarves in my wardrobe!  Thanks for the thoughtful gift!

Off to bed after a very long day...  Sleep well!

XOXO,

S
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/MakingStridesAgainstBreastCancer/MSABCFY13IL?px=1931671&pg=personal&fr_id=47491

Stack of scarves and a great little book to brighten my day!  Thank you for thinking of me, Lisa,  LOVE this idea!



If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment