Laughter IS the BEST Medicine! August 11, 2012

"Go into the world and do well.  But more importantly, go into the world and do good." - Minor Myers, Jr.

Yet another quote from somebody I have ever heard of, but found on Pinterest.  ;)  Yes, I'm slightly addicted to Pintetest, but not losing sleep over it these days.  The quote just made me think about so many things that have been happening in my life.  Usually when somebody asks me how I am doing I respond with "I'm doing well, how are you?"  Lately, I've realized that my response has been "I'm doing ok."  There is a bit of trepidation in my voice with my answer.  The reality is that I am doing well, most days.  I feel well.  I think I look well, for the most part.  My body is doing well, minus the few days following chemo.  My life is great, with the exception of the cancer.  My spirits are high and I have a great cheering section.  The question then becomes "am I doing good?"  If I have to weight things out at this stage in my life, I truly believe that the good outweighs the bad.  Sure, I have moments that I am not proud of, things I can't change but would, and choices I would make differently if given a second chance.  Life is easy when you are the Monday morning quarterback, but it doesn't really work that way.  We can only hope that we learn from each day and do good things moving forward.  I need to focus on the good that can come out of this second battle with cancer.  I need to focus on going into the world and doing good things.  Ok, probably not really the world, but my little world...

Saturday is an early morning and a beautiful day.  Actually the first chilly morning that we have had in weeks. Finally, a day that is not in the 90s, but it seems cold because we are in the 70s.  I head to Downers Grove to go to the Farmer's Market.  It is one of my favorite Saturday morning activities, but I haven't done it since early June.  I love to cook and love buying random fresh produce that I can google later and find a recipe to make.  The market is busy and the produce looks beautiful.  I, of course, get carried away buying beans, corn, nectarines, potatoes, tomatoes, etc.  For a "party of one" you'd think that I have a family of 6 to feed.  My eyes are always bigger than my stomach when it comes to shopping for food.  While the Farmer's Market is great I am actually in town to meet friends for breakfast, so I head over to the Lemon Tree Grocer to meet them.  

If you live in the area and have not gone to the Lemon Tree you are truly missing out.  It is a great little location that is like a mini Whole Foods with a small restaurant inside. The food is delish, the wine and beer offerings are unique, they have a fine selection of cheese, the butcher is fabulous (according to my friend, MLK), etc.  If that doesn't pique your interest, simply stop by to see how cute the owner/chef is.  Sure, he has only helped me pick out beer in the past and he says hello to everyone, but a girl can still think he's adorable even when she's bald and wearing a hat.  If you know him, please don't rat me out and tell my secret.  

Ok, back to the story...I am so easily distracted these days...I blame it on chemo.

I make a quick trip through the Lemon Tree and then run into my friend Kelly that I am meeting for breakfast. Kelly and I used to work together at ACS, but she recently left us for bluer skies, a long Metra commute, and a big building in Chicago.  Kelly is a quirky as they come and I LOVE that about her.  Quirky is one of my favorites traits in people.  I quick hug hello and then a look at the restaurant only to notice that it is not open.  Oooopppsss...I guess I should have done more research when I picked the location.  Fortunately, there is an Egg Harbor across the street.  We grab a table outside and wait for Robyn.  Like Kelly, Robyn is quirky and recently left ACS for bluer skies, a long Metra ride, and a big building in the city...they are both working for Easter Seals and are both continuing to do good.  Both are also probably cringing at my spelling and grammar errors in each post that I make in my blog.  I haven't seen Kelly since the Relay in Joliet and I haven't seen Robyn for a couple of weeks.  It is great to sit outside, drink too much coffee, eat too much food, catch up, and laugh.  We talk about their jobs and the people they work with, ACS, family, friends, Robyn's wedding plans, etc.  Mostly, we laugh.  Both of these ladies can always make me laugh. We sat at breakfast for a long time.  The place was packed and they definitely wanted our table...so much so that they brought us to-go cups for our coffee.  We weren't really concerned about others waiting because we were enjoying the morning and the beautiful day.  

After breakfast we made a quick trip back through the Farmer's Market and decided to walk through town and all the little shops.  We were just talking, walking, and stopping at boutiques along the way. We all had a open day and were not in a hurry to do anything.  The shops are really cute and we have fun browsing the racks and shelves.  Robyn bought her sister a cute gift for her return to work after having a baby, I found a hat on the sale rack, Kelly bought dog treats for Addison (or was that Robyn bought dog treats for Truman?)...pretty sure it was Addy.  Regardless, the dog bakery was full of people and dogs and the woman working knew the dogs by name.  You gotta love customer service for dogs! And I have to love people that treat their animals like their kids!  Robyn is getting married in November and I have offered to bring her dog, Truman, to the wedding for pictures and then bring him back to the doggie hotel.  Animals are family to me and I think he should be in the pictures.  She is considering the idea, but thinks her Mom would be upset.  I think the young Republican dog should be invited and I am willing to to be his "date" for a quick trip to Lake Geneva.  We joked about it a bit, but I am 100% serious about my offer. We continued through town and went to the spice store, a great little candy store where Robyn bought cute chocolates for a dinner party that night, and then to the wedding shop where Robyn has purchased many items for her wedding.  We get to see the jewelry she picked for her bridesmaids, her shoes, etc.  We try to talk her into Brittany Spears' like sweatpants they say "bride" across the butt.  Oddly enough, she declines.  I even see some cute little outfits for Truman to wear in the photo shoot.  Let me just say that this store has managed to put "bride" on more items than you would think!  For a small place they are doing BIG business!  Robyn glows when she talks about the wedding.  It is fun to hear all her descriptions of things and watch her laugh about the things that she has planned.  Kelly and I have fun teasing her about all the details.  

After browsing the shops we decide to go to the Irish pub to relax a bit outside. Breakfast has turned into lunch hour, but we are still full from eating.  We each grad a drink and continue to talk about the wedding, her family, and life.  We are probably louder than we should be, but clearly enjoying our day. We are sitting outside, in the shade, with a breeze, talking and laughing...really, what more can you ask for on a Saturday?  More importantly, we came up for names for Robyn and Matthew's future children and I just can't wait to meet little Mitt, Buffy and Biff someday!   

It is getting late in the afternoon and my energy is starting to fade.  Robyn has a dinner party to attend, Kelly needs to go home to her Eric, and I plan on stopping by the Relay in Romeoville to see Mary with her team and Kevin who is staffing the event...I am friends with and work with Mary & Kevin.  Kelly, Robyn, and I say our good-byes and head our different ways.  Today was a great day with really good and funny people! We all rush through life and often forget to sit, relax, and enjoy friends.  Today was a good reminder to do that more often.

On my way towards home I ran a few quick errands and then text Kevin to see if he needed dinner.  We often staff events all day and find that we are munching on junk food and pop.  He's hungry so I make a quick stop at Wendy's on the way.  By time I pull into the Relay I realize that my body has hit a wall and I am exhausted.  Kevin eats, we chat, I say hello to a few volunteers, walk through the event briefly, and then decide to head home.  Unfortunately, Mary isn't feeling well, so she is not at the Relay.  

Today was a great day with really good and funny people! We all rush through life and often forget to sit, relax, and enjoy friends.  Today served as a reminder to do that more often.  Bed came early, the Olympics are coming to an end, and my eyelashes are starting to fall out...for several hours today cancer was pushed to the back of my mind.  Thanks, Kelly & Robyn for being well and doing good!   

Laughter and friends are FANTASTIC medicine.  So...take a few moments to sit a little longer at breakfast in the sun, walk a little slower with friends around town, and laugh a little louder in the shade.  No medical woes today...maybe boring to those reading this, but pretty exciting to me!  Cancer plays a huge part in my life, but it doesn't have to impact all aspects.  It spent some time on the shelf today and I spent a lot of time not thinking about it....

XOXO,

S



If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.





Addison - "Darth Beagle"...Kelly's baby.

Truman...Robyn's kid!  He's going to look so cute in a tux at the wedding!  ;)


If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment