About Last Night...July 26, 2012

"The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it." - CC Scott

I'm feeling pretty exhausted after last night.  It was an amazing night and I would not change anything about it.  Ok, I would change the fact that I have cancer and that I had to shave my head, but I know that experiences in life make us stronger.  I also know how important my family ad friends are to this journey.

My parents come over in the morning.  Mom had told Dad all about the night, but he still wanted to hear the details from me.  I think I was still glowing from the night.  We talked about the the 'party', we laughed, I cried, but my parents also had the opportunity to see that they are not in this alone.  I feel like the weight of the world is on their shoulders and I HATE that...the party hopefully removed much of the weight. I think it has been important for my Mom to see the strength that I get from my friends.  To see them by my side at chemo, doctor's appointments, surgery, and at the head shaving PARTY.  My mom has a lot going on with my grandma's health and mine, so I need her to know that I have plenty of people to lean on.  Last night gave her that insight.  She was still worried about Jeff because it was hard on him.  So sweet.  I have a feeling that part of my Dad wishes that he was there.  He doesn't like crowds and this battle is so very tough on him, but I think he is hearing about the night and he knows it was exactly what I needed.  We then looked at the gifts and read the cards.  I can't read cards in front of people...it is just so emotional, so I wait until I am in private to read the cards.  The gifts were 100% unnecessary, but greatly appreciated.  Your presence in my life is more than enough of a present.  A few people were not able to make the 'party', so I sent some pictures to make sure that they felt included.

In the mail I received a package that included a book, The Happiness Project, and a card from our Relay For Life National Leadership Training Team members and others that were at the Summit in Nashville.  They signed pages throughout the book...yes, I looked a head!  :)  I was a pro at opening and rewrapped Christmas gifts as a kid, of course I flipped through the book!  How thoughtful of you all to do that in advanced and to think of me. The book is amazing.  It is about a woman who decided to dedicate a year to HAPPINESS.  She realized that she had not been focusing on the things that really matter and chronicled her year long adventure.  I think she may be on to something.  We all spend so much time focusing on work, on stuff, on things...we should be focusing on being HAPPY.

I have a voice text from my fried Matt that tells me I'm beautiful.  Something I need to hear today...and who knew you could send a voice text.  Later in the day I had a call from Jeff in Vegas..I joked and asked if he butt dialed me when I answered the phone...he was singing "You are So Beautiful to Me!"...a little off tune, but made me cry.  Jeff and I text often, but I rarely hear his voice anymore...it was great to hear him sing and hear words that lift me up on a day that my reality is setting in.  Jeff and I have a special bond...he goes MIA, but always finds his way back to check in.  He gets what I am going through...

Rebekah posted kind words on her Facebook page last night and they really hit home...maybe, just maybe, I am stronger this time around.  I'm holding my head high and doing the best I can...from Rebekah:

"Tonight I was a witness to absolute, 100% strength. No weights, no competition, no medals. Just one woman, embracing her present truth and starring it right back in the eye. You're my hero for remaining selfless and my inspiration for what it means to be a beautiful, positive, strong woman. You are changing the way we live our lives, by your grace and uninterrupted kindness. You are a true warrior, my real Spartan chick;) xoxo"

Maybe, just maybe, I am stronger this time around.  I'm holding my head high and doing the best I can.

To be honest, I don't mind my bald head...it may be the heat, but it feels pretty good.

A simple day of work and early to bed.  Feeling well today and on cloud nine after last night.

XOXO,

S


If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you. 


4 comments:

  1. You look amazing!! I love Zara!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've only worn Zara a few times, but she is a pretty good friend for rough days. I hope you are doing well! Have a great day! XOXO

      Delete
  2. I liked Rebekah's message to you. She is right on the mark! You took complete control and made it through with flying colors and a big smile on your face!! I am so very proud of you!! LOVE YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't have done it without eveyone's support! Love you too!!!

      Delete