It's NOT Just Hair - July 22, 2912


"How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?"



Life is challenging. Each of us takes the journey of life facing challenges along the way.  Sometimes, these challenges come one after the other.  It has been a crazy month and 2 days.  This includes the reality of my cancer returning, surgeries, chemo, pain, but the challenge I face this week is one of the harder ones for me.  Part of me feels vain for even being upset by this, but I can't change the way I feel. My scalp starting tingling the past few days and it will probably start to hurt soon. I was holding on to the hope that I'd have the miracle of not losing my hair this time around. No such luck. 

Most women never have to think about losing their hair.  Society puts such a huge emphasis on hair.  Products, accessories, salons, magazines, commercials, etc.  I put a huge emphasis on my hair with all of those things.  We get upset about bad hair days and bad haircuts. We grumble about it, we fuss over it, we take it for granted.  We make appointments for our hair, but forget to make doctor appointments.  It is estimated that we spend $160 per year on shampoos and conditioners, $120 on styling products, and $520 on haircuts.  If you color your lovely locks, add an additional $330!  The money is one thing, but the time we spend on our hair is even more.  We girls spend an average of one hour and 53 minutes a week washing , blow drying and styling our hair.  

So, please don't say "It's just hair."  For me, hairloss is a loss of identity, self-esteem, and an emotional roller-coaster, it will be a daily reminder that I have cancer.  Even on the good days, I will look in the mirror and be reminded that I have cancer.  Even when I'm done with treatment, the cancer is gone, and I am feeling well, my hair will remind me of the journey.

I clearly remember the last time I went through this process.  The first day that it started to fall out was also on a Sunday.  I was working for Harrah's and we had a group of customers in a skybox for a Bears game at Soldier Field.  I looked in the box next to us and saw Todd Leonard.  Todd was my high school boyfriend who has always remained a friend.  He was at the game with family for business.  He made a motion to meet them in the hallway to say hello. I walked out to chat.  We all stood there for a bit talking and I happened to run my fingers through my hair.  All I could feel was a clump of hair in my hands, so I kept my hand in my hair while talking, ended the conversation quickly, and walked to the bathroom to cry.  I don't know if I ever told him that story, but I will never forget that day.

I brushed my hair this morning...the process is begining...please give me the strength to make it through this week.  Steph's text -  "Any signs of it falling out?"  My response "just brushed my hair. :(" with the picture below attached.  Steph - "Darn it...one more hurdle to jump, right??  Together!!" with a thumbs-up emoticon.  


It's the first day that my hair is falling out.  :(


I can't help but cry.  I hate my reality.  I don't even like my hair all that much, but it's MINE!!  And cancer is taking another thing away from me.  I think I'll crawl back under the covers for the day.  Bed didn't last too long as I decided that a pedicure sounds like a much better option.  I'm sitting here writing this on my iPad, getting a pedi and looking across the room at a lady who has a shirt on the says "It doesn't matter what you call 'em...just check 'em!"  Pretty appropriate for the situation.  So, ladies...go check 'em!

XOXO, 

S

PS.
If you or a loved one are facing hair loss from cancer, please consider reaching out to the American Cancer Society.  We supply wigs, free of charge, to those battling cancer.  We also have a great program called "Look Good...Feel Better".  Visit www.cancer.org for more information or to find an ACS location near you.


8 comments:

  1. I hate that you're going through this again, Sue! I agree. It's NOT just hair. I'm losing it, too, from treatment for an autoimmune disease that utilizes a chemo drug, and I will never forget the first day it started to happen. I know it's no consolation to say that you will still be stunningly beautiful either way, but know that there at TONS of people that think that. Lots of prayers for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, Karen. I'm sorry that you are facing chemo. It just isn't right! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I appreciate your kind words and I'm happy to say that I am somewhat ok with being bald. I'm sure the heat is helping. Big hugs!!!

      Delete
    2. I forgot...give those little guys a big hug from me! They are just so cute and I love seeing them grow in all your pictures. XOXO

      Delete
  2. Hi there my friend. I was the one to shave my aunts head when she lost her hair this past fall, stage 2 fallopiam tube. I know how hard it was for her, she would also play with her ponytail and then it was gone. I cried all the way home, but was strong with her and we always find ways to make jokes out of tough siuations, you know me - laughter is my medicine! She looked so beautiful throughout it all, so brave! I am sending you love across the miles! getting my mammogram end of August and I will NEVER miss one - as my aunt is BRCA 1 +. Thank you for sharing with us, we are all here supporting you. Miss you my friend- hugs from Massachusetts. xoxo Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for the note. Your Aunt is lucky to have you in your life! Actually, we are all lucky to have you and your positive attitude in our lives! Miss you too! I hope that your new job is treating you well! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Get mad, you have every right, im mad for you, it's not fair. Hope you are able to turn that fire into fuel for your fight!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. when my hair fell out (and right before it came out) I slept on a silk pillowcase, and it helped the hair stay put longer and felt better on a sensitive head.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for understanding and for the pillowcase suggestion. It is still bothering me and I keep forgetting that I'm bald. Thanks for the note! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete