A "Cupcake" Day! - September 29, 2012

"Life is a sequence of moments all called now."

September 29,  2012

Wide awake at 4 AM...seems like I slept in today. I'm happy to see that there is a Murder, She Wrote marathon on. BONUS...I haven't seen this episode. Again, I have no idea why I like the show. It is mindless and I love a good murder. While I may wake up early I do not get out of bed early these days. Once I finally did get up I head over to a 5th grade volleyball game for Emma. It is a perfect fall day. Not a cloud in the sky and cool enough for a light sweatshirt. Fifth grade volleyball games are fortunately pretty quick. They are all still learning and working on getting a few good serves and volleys. What they lack in skill they have in hair bows and headbands. Looking cute is just a important as playing well. It was great to see some familiar faces at the gym.

After the game Gina, Emma, and I head to lunch in downtown Plainfield. Perfect weather to sit outside for lunch. I still can't believe how quickly all the kids are growing up. It seems like just yesterday I was in college and now the girls' have kids that are in college, high school, junior high, etc. How the heck did that happen. I certainly don't feel like we all have aged as quickly as they have. Emma is full of spirit for a 5th grader. We are clearly past the point of spelling words in front of her or telling her that "mom has to go to a meeting" when we have plans. She's taller than I am, has had bigger feet for years, and is absolutely beautiful. We had a great lunch and then decided to run a few errands. I'm on the hunt for a pink wig for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, so we stopped by the party store. The place is crawling with people trying to pick out Halloween costumes. I tried on a couple pink wigs, but didn't make a purchase. Then we headed to a little shop near by. A good start to my day with one of my closest friends. What more can you ask for.

I napped for a couple of hours when I got home. The doorbell rang when I was getting ready to head out with Eric for the evening. I was literally "dressed" to get in to the shower, so I wasn't able to answer the door. What a pleasant surprise to find donuts (cherry cake and pumpkin) and a gift certificate for massages at the back door when I walked out the door. Thanks, Kim for dropping them off. And thank you to the anonymous person who is kind enough to gift me with massages. While it isn't fair that I cannot properly thank you, I hope you know I appreciate your kindness. My body hurts everyday and massages have been a great help.

There is a Hopstring Fest in town and it is headed up our friend Triz and Chicago Street Bar & Grill. I haven't been there since the night before I was diagnosed with cancer again. I remember that night more clearly than I remember things that have happened in the past few days. June 22 was my last night of normal. It was the last night that I had with friends before I knew I had cancer again. I think the night was as pretty as it is tonight.

The fest is at Silver Cross Field. It is a perfect fall evening, there is a large selection of craft beer, and a long music lineup for the 12 hour event. Fortunately, Eric was just as busy as I was today and he pushed the time back a couple of hours. I really want to wear Zara, but it is too hot earlier in the afternoon. By time the sun goes down it will be perfect wig wearing weather. Hmmm...is there such a thing as "wig wearing weather"? Now if I could just get the Taxo-tears to stop. My eyes water nonstop from one of the drugs that I am on. So much so that I often look like I'm crying.

We know a bunch of people at the event. It is good to see everyone and the hugs are abundant. Even some people that have no idea that I'm sick...kind of fun to be incognito. Compliments on my hair and how long it is getting. What do you say when someone says "I love your hair" and you know its really not your hair? I don't have the heart to tell them that its a wig. And it feels good to know that I don't look "sick" when I'm wearing Zara. Oh, Zara, how I love you! I may not wear you often, you sometimes get stuck in a box, but the truth is I need you.

Great conversations and support from people. And who knew that so many are reading this blog. I cannot begin to thank you all for following my journey. As the night goes on my body is getting tired, but I'm still feeling great. We find a nice table, relax, laugh, listen to music, and enjoy beautiful event with friends.  

Today was a CUPCAKE day!! Thanks to everyone for making it happen. Cancer was talked about a little, but more time was spent talking about life, beer, music, etc.

XOXO,

S

Emma being silly at the party store!  There's nothing like a unibrow!





2 comments:

  1. You are Welcome.....just to know you find some form of relief from the pain is thanks enough! More to come.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but this still comes up as "anonymous". I'd love to thank you properly! You are too kind. XOXO

      Delete