I Get Up Every Morning Determined to Both Change the World and Have One Hell of a Good Time. Sometimes This Makes Planning My Day Difficult." E.B. White - October 7, 2012

"Good friends help you find important things when you've lost them..your smile, your hope, and your courage."  Doe Zantamata

October 7, 2012

Why does morning come so early?  Wide awake at 4 AM and thinking about everyone running the marathon.  It is cold in Chicago and what some would call perfect marathon weather.  I call it perfect weather for staying under the covers, but that will not be happening today.  I start with posting on Christine, Anna, and Colleen's Facebook walls.  They are among the many that are taking on 26.2 today!  Three women who inspire me.  Again, running a marathon is not on my bucket list.  The closest I would get to it is a movie marathon on tv...maybe a nice "Love & Murder" Lifetime marathon or Criminal Minds.  So those who do decide to run that distance simply awe-inspiring.

While they are getting ready to toe the line (I know the terminology that I will never use), I am up and getting ready to head over to the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of Joliet.  Chemo is continuing to take a toll on my body and today is a rough start.  I actually consider not going to the event but I really want to see everyone.  I take an extra hot and extra long shower, a half of a painkiller, and dress extra warm and extra pink for the day.  Pink long underwear, pink shirt, pink and black jacket, pink wig...CHECK!  I actually really like the wig.  It's a cute cut and a BRIGHT color.  Nobody should have problems finding me today.  I pack up my stuff and head to the Speedway a little after 7 AM.

It is in the 30's...yikes!  It is a sunny, beautiful day, but really cold.  I first see Cindi and Luke.  They are volunteering at the t-shirt tent.  Luke comments on the fact that he hasn't seen me in hair in months.  :)  Then Kevin shows up, my Mom, Joyce, sister, Jennifer...etc.  The group is growing by the minute.  So many people that are an important part of my life.  There is no place that I would rather be and no place that is harder to be today.  Everyone is taking pictures, talking to me, looking great in pink, etc.  I'm a little out of it because I'm just not feeling well, but I'm doing my best to fake it.  Lots of hugs, well wishes, gifts, and most importantly LOVE! WE have a huge group.  Family, friends from my childhood, high school friends, college friends, Harrah's friends, ACS friends, TM Martial Arts friends...I didn't even get a chance to see everyone that was there or even say goodbye to them when they left.  I feel guilty for not being 100% today.  I didn't even walk with everyone.  So much so that I walked some of the track by myself.  I'm not even sure how that happened.

Some really awesome things about today...Jennifer did a ton of fundraising.  She sent a great letter out to family and friends and raised over $900, Ann raised $515, I received more than $1600 in donations, our Diva team raised $5870 for the fight against breast cancer!!!  You all are amazing.  Donations came from near and far.  Bill Schueler ran the 9 miles to the track to get ready for his upcoming half marathon.  Joy brought an amazing side by side of two of my pictures framed and signed.  The little girls dressed in tutus...my favorite.  Kevin McMaster wore a pink mohawk.  I was joined by fellow young survivors - Stacey, Kris, Chris and Lynn...all women that heard the words "you have breast cancer" at too young of an age.  And Kathy who will soon be a 25 year survivor!!!  I cannot wait to say that I made it that far.  Everyone took amazing pictures.  It was great to be surrounded by so much love, hope, and courage.  Large sunglasses hid my tears.  Tears of love, joy, and a little bit of pain.

We all took the track and walked 3.2 miles...my own little marathon today.  I can't say that it didn't cross my mind to stop or call someone to come get me in the golf cart, but stopping isn't an option for me in this battle. I haven't stopped since June 22 and I can't stop now.  No matter how I felt today I wouldn't let myself quit.  So, I walked slowly and today I crossed the finish line.  My actual "finish line" is months away, but I felt a small victory when I made it to the end.  And at the end there were all the amazing people that have helped carry me every step of the way during this journey.  You all inspire me.

I'm sorry if I didn't see everyone that was there to support me, or talk at great length, or take enough pictures, or show enough gratitude.  I promise that I did my best and I could not possibly begin to thank all of you enough.  You helped to put a smile on my face today...I would have stayed under the covers if it wasn't for each of you.

After the walk a few of us went to lunch.  While there I had texts that said that Christine and Anna had finished their marathon.  Anna completed her first marathon today. I am sure that the memories of her Dad and Uncle helped her with every step.  Christine ran her best marathon to date..she had a PR ("personal record" for those who don't speak runner).  She even qualified and had her sister register her for Boston!  A HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT.  She said I brought her luck.  The truth is that she has given me strength!

Dad came over to give me my shot.  Off to bed for me!  EVERYTHING hurts!  I'm off tomorrow and I don't plan on getting out of bed anytime soon.

An amazing day with so many people that I love!  Lots of pictures below!

XOXO,

S

Me and Kimmie!  <3

Joy's VERY awesome gift!


Part of my WE.

Stacey Peters and me...we met in the young survivors support group in 2001.  She is AMAZING!

All my Divas is training!  Liver, Abby, me, Emma, Ash, and Allison.  How are they getting so tall??

Me & Gina Marie!

Mom, me & Chris.

Me and Mary! XOXO

Part of my WE!

Jackson, Billy, Max, Max & Frank!

Me & Kathy Papesh!  An amazing breast cancer survivor!  Coming up on 25 years!

Johnnie, Patty, Jim, Jennifer, me, Mom & Chris...friends/family since Jennifer and I were 4 years old!
AMAZING support!  XOXO
Some of my AMAZING work WE!  Love these girls!
Rockin' the pink wig and mohawk!  XOXO, Kevin!

Me and Kris...both breast cancer survivors!

Me and Steph!  One of my rocks!

Me, Kris, Dawne, Steph, Kimmie, and Jenny!


A new addition to my apron collection!  You can NEVER have too many.  Hand made by Mrs. Kickels!  

A soft and beautiful hat.  Handmade by Jenn Wiegman and delivered by her and cute little Maggie!


No comments:

Post a Comment