Rainy Day and the Children's Memorial Hospital Radiothon = TEARS - September 7, 2012

"Without struggles there is no progress."

Thought I'd try something new this morning, but instead I head to Homer for my 3rd Neupogen shot. We are still working on getting approval for the shots to me given at home. High hopes that approval will come today. I listened to the Eric and Kathy show this morning on my way to Homer. They are doing their yearly radiothon for Children's Memorial Hospital. Yes, I know the name changed, but I highly doubt that I will ever change the name in my mind. It will go on the list with the Sear's Tower. It is hard enough to change a friend's last name when they get married. Listening to the radiothon and all the stories of children and their families fighting illness is heartbreaking, but also inspiring. We often live our lives thinking that "IT will never happen to me" attitude. The truth is, It can happen to any of us at anytime. We can become ill, a child can become ill, etc. But IT can also mean love, friendship, happiness, and good things. Listening to these stories always makes me cry, but it also shows me the strength of family, friends, and medical caregivers. It's a rainy day and tears are "raining" in my car. The parents of a child named Donna are telling her story. They tell the story and it ends with Donna losing her battle. I cannot find the meaning behind a child that dies from cancer. I simply have to question "the plan" when I hear these stories. Donna's parents live and honor her memory each day. They talk a lot about appreciating being "normal" before she passed away. The "normal' resonates so deeply with me. I also reflect on all of our days. We spend too many hours working, running your kids around (if you're lucky), messy homes, laundry, mayhem of dinner, conversations with friends...all those "normal things" that we should not take for granted. I would LOVE for a normal day...6 AM kickboxing, long days of work, dinner with friends, too little sleep and too much late night TV. I haven't had a "normal" day since June 21. It seems like a lifetime ago.

It's only me, Patty and Jackie at the Homer location.  We sat and chatted for a few minutes.  I was able to explain my emotions from having my Dad come to chemo.  We talked about family and friends.  Patty only sees me at the Homer location and I always go alone there.  So she has not had the opportunity to see the amazing support in my life.

The day is spent working. Oh how I wish I would have married rich and been a full time Mom or wife. :) The day is full of conference calls. My parents stopped by to say hello, but I only waved. Nurse Jackie called to tell me that they are still working on getting my Neupogen shots. If they cannot get them to me I will have to travel to Chicago for Saturday & Sunday to get the shots. I then get a call from Dr. Robinson to tell me that she is also working on getting approval. The final call comes from Nurse Patty...WHOO HOO!!! The shots have been approved for home delivery, without a copay and the will be delivered by courier to my home. WHAT!?!? No that is service and I will not have to step into my pharmacy for a battle. Now if they could only get someone to take it for me and still allow me to receive the benefits.

My friend from high school, Jenn, has received confirmation that she has breast cancer. My heart breaks for her and her family. I know the road that she has in front of her, but I also know that she is strong enough to handle it. The reality is that we are all strong enough to handle it. We simply have no choice. She and I discuss what to expect, questions to ask, things to think about, and resources that are available the ACS. I probably talked too much, but I hope that it was helpful. She sounds strong and taking it head on with the fact that she must be her own advocate. We MUST all be our own advocates when it comes to our health. She a husband and two young girls at home. I pray her journey is an easy one and I will do everything I can to help her along the way.

The evening starts with flipping channels and coming across Stand Up To Cancer. A celebrity fundraising campaign to fight cancer. I'm crying within minutes. They have cool shirts, famous people, and a great energy. More importantly they have wonderful stories and are bringing awareness. I was killing time waiting for my "drug deal" delivery ;) My friend Barb called during the show. She spent the day at the hospital trying to figure out if her complications are due to her ongoing battle with breast cancer. We discussed the stress that fear brings, our work projects, and life. We talked for a long time. It is good to talk with someone that has traveled the same road of being diagnosed with breast cancer at too young of an age. Barb takes a great holistic approach to her health and gives me ideas. Plus she has an energy about fighting cancer that is infectious. She inspires me so much!

Finally, there is a car that pulls up to my house at 9:30 PM. I answered the door bald and asked if he had my pizza. He laughed, I signed the paperwork, and he handed me the box. In it is a silver envelop, a hazardous materials box, alcohol wipes, an icepack, etc. The silver envelop has 4 shots in it. They are individually loaded, labeled, and ready to go. I'll be heading to Amy's in the morning to get my shot. A few blocks away is much closer than driving to the main Loyola campus for the weekend. I feel guilty asking for help, but this will be well worth it. Plus I will get 4 days away from any type of medical facility. WHOO HOO!!!

The night ends with watching Nightline to see Jim G get interviewed about the Drew Peterson case. I am certain he will mention how much he likes my strawberry rhubarb pie! Kidding!

Off to sleep and I get to sleep with the windows open on this beautiful night! Good to turn the air conditioner off!



Sleep well!

XOXO,

Sue


My Neupogen shots

My very own hazardous waste tub.

I was hoping for a  pizza delivery and I got this!

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year. 





No comments:

Post a Comment