Why Do I Have a Million Places I Want to Go When I'm Stuck at Home? - September 6, 2012

"My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can." - Cary Grant

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Up early to get my shot. Seriously, I like routine but not when it involves shots. My body hurts like I have the flu and my arm hurts from already getting 3 shots. I head to Amy and Don's but decide to get their kids donuts for the morning. They are helping me with shots so I can at least help by giving extra sugar to the kids :). I also grabbed cherry cake donuts an chocolate milk for me. The kids are so cute when I get there. I adore these kids and have always thought of them as family. Kids that I have enjoyed watching grow up and develop their own great personalities. Andrew ad Allison are just getting up, but Ashley opened the door with all smiles. It was funny when Andrew saw the donuts and thought it was Sunday because they are usually their Sunday breakfast. We chatted for a bit and then Amy gave me the shot and we were able to use my personal hazardous materials box. Ok, I'm a little obsessed with the fact that I have it. I may have to bedazzle it to make it cuter. I must invest in a bedazzler. While we were chatting Andrew went upstairs to get a hat like the Cubs hat I was wearing. Too darn sweet! I still can't understand everything the little guy is saying, but his smile is bigger than any words.

I spent about 20 minutes outside of the house today. It is my favorite time of year and I am home bound trying to stay healthy. I worked for a few hours, napped for a little and then heard the doorbell ring. I was pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face at the door, but embarrassed at the fact that I look rough because I'm just not feeling well. Mary Jane, a friend from high school, has stopped by my house. I haven't seen her in years, but she is a part of what has become my Facebook WE. She is as kind and sweet as she was in high school. She had just finished getting a massage from my friend Kim and decided to be kind enough to get a certificate for a massage for me. Completely a random act of kindness that I did not expect. I'm overwhelmed with her kindness. I want to hug her so badly, but I can't take the risk. Plus, she's a teacher...too many germs to be had there. Thank you, Mary Jane. I only hope that I will have the opportunity to repay all those that have been so kind during this journey.

The shots and chemo are taking their toll and kicking my butt these days but I can't help but smile when I think of my life and all the amazing people I know. Cancer sucks, but it also brings out kindness and love.

I had another visitor at the front door shortly after Mary Jane left. This time it is Pam (Rob stays in the car) and she has brought me mac n cheese. I've declined every one's offers to bring food, but I simply could not resist homemade mac n cheese. I'm on a comfort food kick! She has a large container of the mac n cheese, cookies made with chickpeas (I love chickpeas), and a very sweet card that she has made. I love the talent that people have with making cards. More importantly I appreciate the patience you all have for making things. We stood on the porch and chatted for a while. Her son is getting married, Rob and her daughter ran the Shorewood Scoot today, we talked about our battles with cancer and the side effects from the disease. She is so kind to me.

I then blogged a bit, took another nap, talked on the phone with Mary for a long time, ate mac n cheese, blogged, worked, and went to bed. Yep, livin' the life on a Saturday night. It is a beautiful night and I'm getting into a funk from spending too much time at home alone. I hate that cancer is making me stay home, keeping me from doing normal things. Too many hours alone plays havoc on my mind. I keep thinking about the chemo and worrying that it is not actually working. I worry that my battle will not be as short as I have planned. I'm worried that cancer will take my life. There's so much that I still want to do. So much that I NEED to do. The world is moving on and my world is stuck on hold. It's like I'm standing still and everyone is moving past me. There's not a day I don't think it has spread, but days stuck at home allow my mind to take over the bad in the battle.

Tomorrow is another day...still trying to take one day at a time.

Sleep well. XOXO,

Sue



BORED...and looking icky!  ;)  Stuck in the house.



Mac n Cheese, chickpea chocolate chip cookies and a note from Pam

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year. 






6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think this is the first time I have ever seen you without a smile on your face and that makes me sad.

    It is always difficult to find the right words to say to someone who is going through something you have never gone through before. With that said, I will keep this short!

    I think of you often and hope nothing but the best for you. Stay strong and remember this: You are beautiful, amazing and strong. Don't let this get you down. (Easier said than done, I am sure.) YOU WILL BEAT THIS AGAIN! I have no doubt.

    Love, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I'm doing my best to stay strong! It is easy with all the support that I have, but sometimes I will get down about the whole thing. Just a little bit of a roller coaster.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, I pray for you each day. I lost my best friend, sister, mother, sponsor and miss her so much she was also my confidant(?)(very,very much so). My battle with my disease was horrible (not like yours tho). Her name is Joanne Alexander and she pulled me through the rough times! She had breast cancer so I have seen my loved one go thru this 'damn' thing!! My tears are streaming down my cheeks as I think of her. You are strong the best way you can be, and a VERY thoughtful person. May God bless you and give you the strength and hope to get you through this. Hope is my MOST favorite word, at times that is all I had and have, in small amounts. I just had to write to you.
    Hugs
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate your words and openness. Both of our diseases are horrible and it takes hope to get through each day. One day at a time! I'm sorry for your loss, but I am happy that you had Joanne in your life when you needed her during the rough times. Stay strong and know that you are an amazing inspiration to many. XOXO

      Delete
  3. Sue:
    Everyone who knows you, realizes what a special and lovely person you truly are and we are all pulling for you! I know it must be hell with what you are going through and I pray for you every night but just remember there is a light at the end of that tunnel and that is the knowledge that you beat this before and you will beat it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the note and kind words. I appreciate all of the prayers. I absolutely plan on beating this again! :)

      Delete