So Many Great Things For a Sunday and I Haven't Even Gotten Out of Bed Yet! - September 9, 2012

"There are seven days in the week and someday isn't one of them!"

I opened Facebook this morning and noticed that I had been tagged in a post. Hmmmm...what can this be all about. It is bright and early on a Sunday morning and I am wondering who in the world would be thinking of me. I'm delighted to see that Anna Unger had mentioned me and here's what it said:

"13.1 miles along the way to the marathon. Today I am running in honor of Sue Ward, a wonderful woman and strong fighter Please consider making a donation today in honor of Sue and all the fighters out there."

Pretty great way to start a Sunday. Well, great for me because I'm still in bed. And great for Anna because it is a beautiful day to run the Chicago half marathon. Anna is a part of my Work WE. Well, I often make Anna work harder because I simply cannot get a expense report accurate the first time around and often the 2nd and 3rd time. I think I have only handed in one report that was accepted the first time around. Expense reports literally stress me out, cause panic, and take too many hours to get right. They are one of my least favorite things about my job and I usually try to give Anna a warning that they are coming. Yet Anna always smiles, types out my errors to fix, and then re-sends them to me when I some how manage to still make mistakes. No matter how hard I try I cannot get it right. There's something about Anna Banana that has always made me smile. She's my favorite Vegan in the world and the only person that I would make a vegan cake and "cream cheese" frosting for!  (The frosting was terrible, so I don't think she would want it again.)

Anna is preparing for her first marathon and running for the American Cancer Society. Like so many people, her life has been impacted by cancer. Cancer has taken two of the most important people in her life and is attempting to take a third. Anna lost her Dad when she was 13. After the loss of her Dad her uncle (his brother) stepped in to help Anna continue to become the woman that she is today. Her uncle lost his battle with cancer in 2005. And in 2007 her dear friend and neighbor from her youth, Susannah found out that she had cancer. Susannah is still fighting the disease. Anna has chosen to honor all of them by doing the Chicago marathon. Sweet, quiet Anna is taking on the beast cancer and doing it in a big way. Again, I find no reason to ruin a perfectly good day with 26.2 miles of running but I am in awe of those that do. Anna has also chosen to get a blue mohawk if she reaches her fundraising goal! HUH?!?! Blue mohawk!!! Yes, Anna with her virgin hair almost all the way down her back is thinking about shaving most of it off. Part of me think she's crazy, but mostly I think she is amazing! Anna, thank you for dedicating today's run to me. It helped give me a little more pep in my step! Run Anna Run!!!

After reading Anna's post I have an email from my 3rd cousin Jason Neef. He and his son are at Notre Dame for the game and they made a stop at the Grotto and lit a candle for me. The picture he sent is beautiful. I'm honored that they thought of me and said some prayers. The Grotto is a place that I have always wanted to see and I have heard about for years. There is a lot of history there and I find it interesting that the rosary is said there daily at 6:45 PM...rain or shine. Thanks for thinking of me, Jason. It has been too long since I've seen you.

13.1 under my belt and a trip to the Grotto...I guess I should get out of bed and get moving! First stop is to drop off some food at Mary's house and then my shot at Don and Amy's. Amy is just getting home from work when I arrive. I hate imposing on them, but I really need the shots to stay healthy. Amy had a tough night at work. I simply cannot imagine working with sick children. It takes a special person to do what she does. She also mentioned that they has watched Stand Up 2 Cancer Friday night. Her oldest asked her the question "why does God let people get cancer?" It is a question that I have asked for years and one that I will simply never understand. A question that has continued to impact my faith. A question that a child should never have to ask.

Don takes his turn with the shot today. I am thankful for both of their skills! Only Andrew is home because the girls had sleepovers. He's such a little character who always makes me laugh. The kids and Amy gave me a great Halloween apron and a large Halloween cupcake. Andrew told me that he didn't like the cupcake but he picked out the apron. Almost 4 and absolutely adorable. He wanted to give me a hug goodbye, so Amy told him to hug my leg. So darn cute!

It is a perfect day! Crisp and sunny outside. I had good intention of heading home, but I have cabin fever. So my quick trip home turned into a brief walk through the farmer's market and returns at Kohl's. About an hour of time outside of my house. It felt fantastic, but I knew it was time to get home. Get back to my bubble.

I sat outside and snapped beans for a little while. I need to boost my vitamin D and this is just what the doctor ordered. I'm moving slowly, sore from the shots, but enjoying the beautiful weather. When I get tired of staying home I try to remind myself to take a deep breath and focus on the prize...Oct. 25. Three more rounds...three more rounds...three more rounds....it is the little things that keep me moving forward. I had visitors to help snap beans. Jennifer and Giada stopped by with some goodies that they harvested this morning. Apples and strawberries that they picked and fresh cherry jam. YUM!! We sat outside and talked for a long time. Giada ate raw beans and was as sweet as could be. It was good to sit outside, relax, and have a normal conversation about life.

I invited my parents to dinner. They had to bring the main dish, but I would make the sides. Chicken, beans, mashed potatoes, and a strawberry apple crisp. I wish I could have eaten the fresh fruit from Jennifer and Giada, but fresh is on "the list" so I had to bake it to eat it.

Overall a really good and peaceful day. I'm exhausted from doing small tasks, but happy to have great people in my life...

XOXO,

Sue

Anna and her medal from the Chicago Marathon!  She is AWESOME!!

Anna's Daddy
 http://runrunanna.blogspot.com/2011/03/remembering-my-dad.html

What Ann could potentially look like if she reaches her fundraising goal.  :)

Jason's son Caden lighting a candle at the Grotto at Notre Dame.  
If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment