A Slice of Normal, with a Bit of Reality On the Side- July 7-8, 2012

"So this is the part where I'm supposed to tell you that it's not scary. Well, it is. But fear is natural, fear is good. It just means you're growing."

The past three days have been as close to "normal" as I have been in the past couple of weeks. Saturday was spent with Deb and Cindi at the The Brothers of the Sun concert at Soldier Field. It was a perfect summer Saturday night in the city. Great breeze, no clouds, and country music. Well, I'm not a country fan, but Deb invited us and it sounded like a fun time. Tickets on the field, cocktails, dancing, friends...sounds like I should be there!! We get to the stadium and my view of country music changed as quickly as my view of Tim Mc Graw came up on the jumbotron. Have you seen that man? Men should not wear white jeans, but if you look like Tim, you can wear anything you want! My Mom and sister (The Twins) are big country fans, so Chris sent me a text to text a picture of his butt, and what a FINE buttocks it is! I just might be able to get into the country-thing!

I spent a few hours with Eric on Sunday. Lunch on the patio at Big Fish. I need to get my oyster fix before chemo starts on Wednesday. So, we filled up on oysters, ate too ,uch for lunch, enjoyed a bloody Mary, and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon. We took the long way home from the restaurant. I was driving on roads and in areas that I have never seen in the area. It is always strange to find "new" areas in a place that you have lived all of your life. As we headed towards home we decided to see a movie. I think the last move we saw together was Valkyrie and we sat in the front row. My neck still hurts from that. We saw Ted.  Not my typical genre of movies, but I love Seth McFarlane. PERFECT movie to see when life has kicked you in the butt! We laughed so hard at the edgy teddy bear with a Boston accent! It is VERY R-rated, not for everyone, crude, etc. BUT we laughed...I needed to laugh more than anything. The good thing about having Eric as a friend is that you will alway be laughing and probably be enjoying a cocktail. Friends that have the power to bring laughter to your life are friends that you keep for life.

Monday was simple...back to work! Vacation has come to an end and my life has changed dramatically on vacation. A few hundred emails to read, calls to return, conference calls to join, work to be done. Today I had to let the ACS staff in IL know the things that were happening in my life. Much of my job is spent working to enhance the fundraising efforts for the IL Division, so I receive emails and calls on a regular basis from staff across the state. We needed to let them know that I would be taking intermittent FMLA over the next several months and we needed to let everyone know the plan that we had in place to make sure that none of their needs fell hrough the cracks on days that I would be out of the office. I wrote the email last week, edited it at least 20 times, and sat with high anxiety levels as I prepared to push send. It was a simple email, but to the point.

Subject: My cancer journey continues...

"Hello. I hope this finds you well and refreshed after a long holiday weekend.
There is often no easy way to send a note and explain a situation, for me, this is one of those times. Over the next several months I may find myself taking intermittent FMLA due to a June 22 diagnosis with breast cancer. As we move forward during this time I would like to request that all emails or calls needing immediate assistance (by me) be sent to my email box with a cc: to Staci Calvert and/or the Priority Special Events team mailbox. This will allow for a quick response on days that I may be out of the office for treatment which starts this Wednesday. Please know that I have no intention of missing many days of work, but a plan needs to be put in place for when this may happen.

The support that I have had from ACS staff in my search for answers and doctors has been greatly appreciated. It has been refreshing to see ACS materials in all of the hospitals/doctors' offices and to be handed ACS documents, resources, and business cards from the doctors that I have seen. We do GREAT things each day and are supporting so many in need. I am sure that I will stop by the ACS resource center on my many visits to Loyola Medical Center.

I started my work with ACS a few years after I was diagnosed the first time with breast cancer in 2000 and I am confident that each of your efforts will allow me to continue to fight this disease. Of course, you positive thoughts will be appreciated during this difficult battle. So...fight a little harder and raise some more funds to help those of us that have to face this beast called cancer...to say I appreciate it would be an understatement!

Have a great day!

Sue"

One simple email that generated more replys than most of the emails that I have sent over many years. The outpouring of love from my ACS family had me in tears at my desk. My WE has continued to grow over the days. The responses that I received were staggering. I know that we have great people at ACS. You don't work here for the money or the hours. You work at ACS to fight a disease that has probably touched your life. Everyone has a story to tell about cancer, most came here to emilinate a disease that impacted a family member, a friend, or themself. I try not to show my vulnerability at work, but today I put it out there for all to see. Today, I received a great big virtual hug fom across the great state on Illinois and from peers across the country.  I'm not a hugger, but it felt amazing!

XOXO, 

S

On the field enjoying the concert!  Thanks for the invite, Deb!

I wish I had a great picture from behind!  ;)

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.

2 comments:

  1. You know that I know you're not the biggest fan of hugs but know that I'm sending a million your way from NYC. And hopefully I'll be able to give you one...ok maybe just a high five, when I get home in two weeks. Miss you and thinking of you everyday!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say to this blog post is....mmmmhmmmmm....to the Tim McGraw comment. Of course, I am a big country fan and was up in the 200 level and still was having a heart attack at the jumbotron but when 'Truckyeah' came on....oh yeah! LOL Ok..ok..back to a little bit of reality. Glad you might a country convert, Sue! :)

    ReplyDelete