Apparently mini marshmallows can cause an emergency lumpectomy...let's try to get things up to date...June 26, 2012

They say you are what you eat...I need to eat a skinny person!!!

Please know that I simply can't remember what day it is the past couple of weeks...thankful for technology and everyone that will answer "what day is it" the 20 times I ask a day. Well, today is my first surgery day. Dr. Marshall and I decided to do a partial lumpectomy so she could get a large portion of skin and tissue to determine the kind of bc I have...with reports mimicking inflammatory, but my skin looking "normal", she thought this was the best option. So, I prepped for surgery...washed with the special soap,stopped eating and drinking after midnight,packed a large bag of goodies for my entourage....water, fruit, chips, crackers,twizzlers, magazines, etc... If they are going to get "stuck" in a hospital waiting room, I always think I need to take care of them. Then I worked for a few hours before I had to head to the hospital. My recent snack, that sits on my desk, is a bag of mini marshmallows...harmless ,low fat, yummy...simple. Well, Stephanie called while I was "snacking" and completely busted me. Please know that I didn't even realize that I was eating. It wasn't like I had a appetite, but they were there, my hands were there, and my mouth was there...not a good combo. So, I immediately stopped at about 15-20 MINImarshmallows...harmless, right??? 


Well, Mom picked me up for the drive to the hospital. I asked if Dad was coming and we talked about how hard all of this is on him...after all, I'm Daddy's Girl...he's my number one guy!! So, I simply said to mom, well, he loves me most...in the entire family!! She agreed, but I think she was a little mad at the truth in the statement! ;-) Well, I get to the hospital, register, we take over a large corner to hang out and wait. So, my dry mouth needed a piece of gum...I always chew gum (even while boxing, Don't worry Tim, I will never hold you responsible for choking on my "Illegal" gum on your mat!)... It's just who I am. Well, the nurse came out to bring me back, saw me chewing gum and you would think that I had drowned a cat in a brown paper bag...she was angry! Ok, angry might be an understatement. The lecture I got about the gum was ridiculous. So, being the smart ass I often am, I sad...if you're mad about the gum, you'll be ready to kill me about the mini marshmallows...WRONG move...at this point they are ready to cancel surgery, kick me out on the street,and let me fend for myself. Clearly, honesty is not always the right choice. So, meetings took place, I continued to get lectured, pleaded my case and promised the nurse that I truly am a great patient who never causes problems...I even brought Dr Marshall's favorite candy for her...I'm thoughtful, but apparently not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Marshall came to my rescue. I had her first "emergency lumpectomy" that she has ever had to perform. She will have to go to the hospital medical board and explain the fact that her dumbass patient had MINI marshmallows before surgery... She thinks it's funny,and so did I and my friends...Gina and Stephanie had a bag of MINI marshmallows waiting for me when surgery was done. Gotta love my girls and their humor! It was actually a funny day. Only a few tears when dad came back to give me a hug before I went into surgery. Oh...and the staples rubber and that probably came off of a Jim Yankovich's rubber band ball that was what was used for drainage "tubes"...odd, but cool. I have pics! Don't worry...I won't post!


Pretty out of it after surgery...pizza for dinner, early to bed, and ready for the next day of the journey.


XOXO, 


S


If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.

2 comments:

  1. I love the stories about your girls! I was a Daddy's girl too -- Dads are the best! Loving your blog -- you are a great writer -- I can hear your voice in your words. :) Cheers to you my friend Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dads are the BEST!! Thanks for being a great cheerleader! Love ya!

      Delete