I'm Leaving On a Jet Plane...July 19 & 20, 2012 (part 2)

Thanks for stopping back for Part 2.  I'm sure it seem like Part 1 took days, but it really only covered a few hours of the trip.  Here are some more details...

After AnnMarie spoke there was an interesting video from a young cancer survivor from Australia.  The challenges she has faced are unbelievable.  I wish I could find the link to the video, but I can't seem to locate it.  (This just in...Adam Schwartz read this blog and sent me the link to the video and reminded me that her name is Amanda...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINoQPOqV8k&feature=g-all-f   Thanks, Adam)  There are no spoken words, simply writing on a piece of paper and expressions on her face.  This young girl has looked death in the face too many times! Once the video is done she appears on stage.  Her spirit is amazing!  She talks a lot about having HOPE...that little word that shows up so often, but means so much.  Her message was a message that so many could relate to.  Linda walked by me once the speech was complete.  She simply gave me a hug and said "Do you have hope?"  I nodded yes.  Yes, I have a great deal of hope.  It gets intertwined with fear and despair, but I have hope.  Later in the evening Amanda gives me a sweet gift of a vase with flower pins...it says HOPE down the side...see, I have hope!

The entire group was then bused over to a local college campus to have "Olympic Games", Relay style.  The entire thing was ridiculously funny.  It is one of those things that is difficult to explain.  Adults and college kids dressed silly, making up cheers about cancer, wearing Relay gear, everyone division in a different colored bandanna, etc.  Put it this way..the Illinois Division cheer was "Check Your Colon!"...I pulled out moves from my Spiritline days and taught the staff and volunteers.  Don't get too excited.  It was only three moves, but it did end with jazz hands.  We so should have won the team cheer, but it is hard to compete with a division that can include uterus in their cheer.

Things were going well.  I was involved with everything and having a good time.  Then it was like somebody slammed the door in my face.  I hit a wall of exhaustion.  It was like every ounce of energy was sucked from my body.  I couldn't help but get angry at my body that was working against me.  My breast had started hurting and I started to panic. I needed to get out of the crowd because panic was setting in.  I made it to the top of the stadium, but I was embarrassed, angry, sad, tired, sore, etc.  Keri came up a few minutes later and I broke down.  I don't like people to see me be weak, but I had no other choice.  Then my work WE went into full gear to try to get me out of the stadium, back to the hotel, and back to my room.  I just needed rest.  Keri worked on getting me a cab, Staci helped, Karen came to see how I was doing, and Ann tried to keep me calm.  I felt terrible because they were all missing the fun, but I can't thank them enough for helping. We waited and waited, but the cab never came.  Fortunately, my tears subsided and my anxiety calmed.  Finally, a bus was getting ready to return.  I was able t get on the first bus, get back to the hotel, and go to bed.  I was bummed that I was so beat up because I really wanted to spend some time with Cyndi and Katie, but my body seems to be calling the shots these days.

I skipped breakfast in the morning.  I was feeling beat up so I stayed in bed a little longer.  Everyone understood.  We had another couple of general sessions that day.  More great speakers and more time to see friends from across the country.  The hotel was so large and the group had over 1000 people in it, so I didn't get to see everyone that I had hoped to run in to.  Once the last general session was done we all said our goodbyes and people started heading home.  We had a few hours until our flight, so we took our time.  Danielle sent a text to come say goodbye, so Staci was kind enough to grab my luggage so that I could walk to see Danielle before we all headed our separate ways.  I went to the bar where some Florida people were having a meeting.  I spoke with Stephanie and Danielle for a few minutes and then I needed to leave.  Danielle gave me the biggest hug ever...again, two non-huggers hugging.  I almost broke down, but managed to hold myself together.  It's not goodbye...it's see you later!

I didn't get to say goodbye to so many people.  I didn't get to say thank you to so many people.  We have AMAZING staff and volunteers at the American Cancer Society.  I am lucky to know that millions of people around the world are fight this damn disease.  THANK YOU to each and every one of you!

Once we arrived at the airport I was able to get on standby for the earlier flight.  This would allow me to get home a couple of hours earlier.  Best $64 I have spent in a long time.  I was the last to board the plane, but there was a seat next to Deb so I didn't have to squeeze in between strangers.  Deb and I chatted the entire way home.  It was good to learn more about her and hear about her life...a little over an hour that had very little to do with talking about cancer.  A much needed vacation.

I walked out of the airport with Karen, another ACS staff.  Karen is also a breast cancer survivor.  We didn't long to chat, but what she told me of her story is amazing...breast cancer while pregnant...it has been 15 years.  She is a huge inspiration to me.

While I couldn't wait to get home, I stopped at my parents on my way.  Mom and Dad have a new kitty that I really haven't seen and I wanted to tell them about the weekend.  I caught the kitty and held her on my lap and then we all talked.  I really don't tell my parents all about the things that happen when I travel or when I go to events, but I wanted to tell them the story of Ann Marie.  I could hardly speak, my voice was cracking, and tears were rolling, but they need to hear about this amazing Mom and the impact that she had on me...on us.  We all cried, but it was a good cry.  It's the first time that we all sat and talked about things and its the first time we cried together.  My parents may not have laws created for me, but they would move mountains for me, they would go to the ends of the earth for me.  They are my everything!

Time for bed.  I've been awake more hours in the past three days than I have in the past month.  Hey, Katie Paulson...where is my Rosetta Stone for Southern Accents?????

XOXO,

S


The AWESOME staff and volunteers from the IL Division.  Thank you all for your support!  
Check Your COLON...it's not balls people!

Me and Amy - Check UR COLON.  Always good to know your punctuation!

Me and Katie.  She has so much energy!!
She makes me smile and this was right after one of the toughest parts of the day!




6 comments:

  1. I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you - you inspire me so much and remind me every single day why we do what we do. Thank you for teaching me bravery, integrity, compassion, dedication, but most of all what it really means to love your friends. Please know that I would crawl to the ends of the earth for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support! I appreciate you more than words can say. HUGS!!!! ;)

      Delete
  2. It is so hard to let ourselves let others see us when we are weak. It is so hard to let others help us when we think we don't need it. But it's the amazing strength and help from others that picks us up at the most amazing times and helps us along the fight, whatever the fight is. It's ok to let others see us at our weakest; it is ok to let others help us when we don't think we need them. Sometimes we hide; sometimes we just can't. It is ok. We are human. WE all struggle. WE all breakdown. Yet, WE all get back up and fight harder every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey babe! Just wanted to let you know that I think this blog of yours is excellent!! I'm having one of those nights of not being able to sleep, so I'm catching up on your writing. Wonderful work!!! I agree with you...AnnMarie & Amanda give hope and ARE hope for both of us! Amanda's story really hit me hard as I sat in my chair with tears on my face and some fear in heart as her video rolled. But my fear turned to HOPE and that's what we both have to focus on in the coming months and years!! I know it's not always easy, but stay strong and know love is streaming in to you from the four corners!! Your BC "Sister"

    ReplyDelete