Picking an Oncologist and It's a Holiday Week - July 3, 2012

"No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day and be thankful for life.  Someone somewhere else is fighting to survive."


My ACS family has been amazing through this whole process.  When my Mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer I reached out to ACS.  When my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer I reached out to ACS...so, here I am again reaching out to ACS for help.  If you ever find yourself or a loved one with cancer, PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society...www.cancer.org or reach out to me...we are here to help.  Nobody should face cancer alone.


The outreach actually started last week, but is coming to fruition now.  I simply wanted help in finding the "best" oncologist for me.  I had a few names in mind, but didn't know who was the correct choice.  My first oncologist retired a few years ago and I would have never returned to her.  She was one of the "best" in her field, but not right for me.  I always tell people to make sure that you have the right doctors on your team.  There needs to be trust, honesty, friendship, and guidance.  I have that with Dr. Marshall, but I must find that with an oncologist.  I simply could not do the process the same way that I did it the first time around.  So, names started to be recommended and my research began.  Some of my criteria - an oncologist at a teaching school...we live so close to some of the best teaching schools in the country, so I always think that is where I should go...I would drive to the city for dinner or a pair of shoes, so I certainly have no issues with driving there for treatment.  Next, I would like a woman...sorry guys, this came about years ago and probably won't change.  Next, someone aggressive in their field.  Pretty simple, right???  My medical bio was sent to several respected leaders in oncology across the city and one of the most comprehensive emailed responses was sent to me with a solid recommendation for a young doctor at Loyola.  Dr. Patricia Robinson took the time to respond in detail and put thought into the person (me), not just the process (cancer).  So, she was the first that I would meet with.  I worked on other appointments and ACS was a great help, but we were up against a holiday.  So, one oncology appointment this Thursday is all I was able to book.  


Now...time to figure out what to make for the 4th of July party.  I would usually make cupcakes, but I just don't have the desire to make something cute and happy.  So, I went with plum & pear pie and coconut and chocolate pie. Let me know if you would like the recipes...they were delish!!!
I also decided to meet some TMMA folks out for a cocktail before dinner at LaMex with Jeff, Cindi, Luke, Emma, and Eric. It was a good stop at Heroes. I would stay for one, say my hellos, laugh a lot, and then leave for dinner. Part of the gang was there! Toni in her cute work clothes, Colleen, Michell and Rich, Chris and her husband and cute little Veronica. We chatted for a bit and then Chris and I has a side conversation...Chris just returned to the gym from her battle with breast cancer. We are about the same age, so, it was nice to chat with someone who "gets" it. The reality is that most people "get it" to a point...we have all been touched by cancer in one way or another. I felt guilty seeing Chris when she was at Relay and she introduced me to her husband as an 11 year survivov...I knew that day it was a iie, but I didn't have it in me to tell. After Heroes we had dinner at LeMex...it was packed, but I always love LaMex...all important conversations over the years have happened at LaMex...the girls all found out about my first diagnosis at La Mex...nothing says tell me an important life happening like chips & salsa, 1/2 price margaritas, and queso fundido! Eric was running late and showed up at the end of dinner. So, we all headed out and Eric and I stopped by Traditions for a cold one. Traditions was empty, so we were able to sit and talk about things. Drink and relax. Ahhhhh....another NORMAL night in my life! Eric has to work the station in the morning, but I still had some energy left. The TMMA gang was still at Heroes and Kryz kept texting me and asked me to stop by. So, to Heroes I went for an ice cold water and a bunch of laughs. Some hadn't changed positiions and others had joined the crowd. Always fun to push Tim's button when he's drinking and you want to "complain" about things at TMMA...I guess I should have suggested non-stop circuits, 100s of burpees each day, full combat kickboxing, etc...I'm not going to be there to suffer through it! I hope there is a tiny spot in Tim that will actaully miss me giving him a hard time and complaining, and being a smartass....I do it just to bug him and I only bug people I like. Now there's Kryz at the other end of the table..he's been texting me for hours and hasn't said a word to me tonight..men do not understand! Heading home. Thanks for a slice of "normal"!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!

 XOXO,

 S

Plum and pear pie! http://www.oprah.com/food/Streusel-Topped-Pear-and-Plum-Pie-Recipe

Coconut and chocolate pie.  http://handi-eats.blogspot.com/2011/05/martha-stewarts-crispy-coconut-and.html

If you or anyone you love is facing cancer PLEASE reach out to the American Cancer Society.  Nobody should face cancer alone.   http://www.cancer.org/  or 800.227.2345.   24 hours a day 365 days a year.  WE are here for you.



2 comments:

  1. My diagnosis was 2 years ago July 4th weekend - so I had this issue of having to wait for responses and answers because of the holiday. What seemed like months was only days. I did end up with a great Onc Doc and sounds like you are on the right path! OH so yummy --- love the pies! I don't want the recipe -- afraid I would eat the whole thing since I am the only one that likes sweet in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy! I know you know what I'm going through. Let me know if you change your mind about the recipes!! ;)

    ReplyDelete