Happy 236th Birthday America! - July 4, 2012

"Home of the free because of the BRAVE!" 

Happy 4th of July! Happy hottest day of the year! 4th of July was a blow to my "normal" this year.

Typically, I take the week off and head to Michigan with one of my adopted families, The Papesh's. I've been doing this for a few years now and love every minute of it. The Papesh's are one of the many families that picked me over the years. We have all gone through a lot together! Kim is one of my closest girlfriends from college, she's a Diva, but the rest of the family are just as amazing. They are also a family that is no stranger to the battle against cancer. Both Kim's family from birth and her family from marriage have had hard blows from the disease and a few victories along the way...Missi and Mrs. Papesh are both cancer survivors with me. So I always feel like they understand what I am facing. They've looked cancer in the face, they've won, and they've lost the battles...much like my own family...and we all still  keep coming out smiling and laughing.  I try not to miss a birthday party, family dinner, invite, etc. I've even told Mr. & Mrs Papesh that I would have happily taken the runt of the litter if they had another son! He would have had to have been a runt, but I still love the big guys, like the smart ass brothers I never had! Time with the Papesh's is always full of laughter, some whining, some fighting kids, some loud men, Mexican food, time out on the boat, early mornings chatting/eating with Chris while everyone sleeps, Liver checking to see how much we are drinking, Jake trying to be cool in front of the other kids, but we know that he's a Momma's boy, Missi cuddling with Bailey Boo, Alli growing by the second with the confidence that every girl should have in life, Bryan cleaning the boat/starting a fire, etc. I'm free to be me in Michigan and I have grown to love the solitude of the drive, the trips to the Mexican grocery store, the Amish markets, the lack of phone reception, the hours on the lake with the wind in my hair, the Oberon, the sombrero cookies from Yoders, the brats from the Sand Lake Party Store, the FAMILY...MY FAMILY!  I even have my own room in MI, but suggested that they rent it out this summer to a fun, young girl who likes her cocktails and will help with the cooking. Fortunately, they haven't taken me up on that offer, so maybe there will be a slim chance that I get to go again before they close up for the season.

If you don't have a place of complete relaxation in your life, PLEASE find your "Michigan"...it may be a park bench in your yard, time at the mall, working in your garden, cuddled up with your cat...we all deserve a place away from reality that we can call "home" and a family that is not blood that we can call "family". All of the Papesh's are this to me!

By staying home this year, I was able to go to the Tyler's Annual 4th of July Party...odd that I've never been invited before!!! Just kidding, I've been out of town for years around the 4th, but was looking forward to the bash. I made a big batch of beer brats, a couple of pies, and pulled myself together for the day. I was feeling "off", but thought it was just still from surgery and the heat. I wasn't supposed to get in the water, but Dr. Cindi said I'd be just fine...she's not really a doctor, but married one and would definitely play one on TV, so close enough. So, I stayed in the pool all day! Pretty much everyone was in the pool relaxing, having cocktails, kids playing, etc. Cindi was kind enough to let us bring a few additional girls for the day at the pool...it was just too hot to leave them at home. And they said "that was the best 4th of July ever"...The more the merrier, especially with kids in a pool.  Kids find so much joy in a pool...playing games, jumping off the diving board a million times, splashing, etc.  Oh how I wish they all could see how simple life is as a kid.  Not that they haven't faced some struggles, but they are all still innocent.

I still felt like I was going through the motions that day, but at least I was going. Luke put on his "official fireworks show" and then they all headed over to the golf course to watch the fireworks from the Park District. I decided to stay behind. A few of the kids wanted to swim, so I volunteered to stay in the pool...somebody had to do it! ;) And lucky for me I stayed...a few of the men also stayed and decided that they would get in the pool and take over the diving board! I won't mention names on here because they know where I live. These 55+ year old men dove, bombed, flipped, etc...for what seemed like hours! They hit the water hard and rumor has it that they have the bruises to prove their efforts. I decided to hang in the hot tub and watch. My body was sore,so it was a perfect spot. My "first husband", Jim joined me...We've never been married, but he's married to my best friend Gina, I'm not sure if they chose me as part of their family, but I came along as part of the package deal with their marriage. Gina is another Diva, a good friend from college, has the best "Gina-ism", teaches 2nd grade (scary), doesn't spell check her text before she sends them (you pretty much need an interpreter to figure out what she is saying), and has a heart of gold! Jim and I hung out forever in the hot tub attached to the pool, but hardly said two words. I thought it was strange that Jim didn't mention what I am facing, but I also thought "thank God" because I am not sure I could hold the conversation today. Just a few simple "How ya feeling?" "You look good" "Why are you not in MI?" Simple questions that came from people and made things ok.

So, the night was coming to an end. Cindi took me inside to a BERTDAY cookie and gifts from the girls...my Bertday is on July 6...I broke down and cried...how the hell am I 40 and I have faced breast cancer, twice? The cookie and gifts were left behind...I'll be back tomorrow.  Cindi gave me a hug and I snuck out of the party with tears running down my face....I'm a creature of habit, I like my life in most ways, I like my family and friends, I like my NORMAL!!!

Time for bed...big day tomorrow at Loyola, Meeting an oncologist and a surgeon...I hope we click!

XOXO,

 S


No comments:

Post a Comment