Guest Blog Spot - From One of My Divas and Best Friends - Gina Tacchia - written on July 25, 2012


“ You’re only as strong as the tables you dance on, the drinks you mix and the friends you roll with.”

Hello!  After a few weeks of writing the blog I offered the option for a few of my girlfriends, my Mom and sister to write a "guest blog" about the day they joined me for surgery, doctor appointments, or chemo.  This entry is from Gina Tacchia.  She and I have been the best of friends since college (don't ask her for an interview because she will deny it...funny story for another time).  We've been through the great things in life and some pretty tough moments.  I was in Gina and Jim's wedding, there to celebrate the pregnancy and birth of their beautiful daughter Emma, and I've been an "honorary member" of the Ragusa family for as long as I have known Gina.  She is one of the kindest people that I know, she worries to much, over-thinks things more than I do, she sends the funniest text, can always find a pole to dance on, has a great snort, washes her hair  times a week, is a wonderful Mom, and her alter-ego is "Stella". To know Gina is to love her...and that comes with all her quirks!  I guarantee you she took too long to write this and double checked her spelling again and again.  We tease Gina the most because we all love her (and she makes it pretty easy).  Gina and Jim are one of the funniest couples when they are hanging out together and I love when he says "Geeeeeeennnaaa"...to one of her MANY Gina-isms.  I so wish she would have sent the below via text so you all could "try" to read it with me!  :)

Seriously, I don't know where I would be without Gina, her love, her family, and our laughs.  Gina is like a sister to me...these are her words...

“ You’re only as strong as the tables you dance on, the drinks you mix and the friends you roll with.”


"With that said, I am feeling pretty strong.  I roll with one tough cupcake. (I know it should be cookie, but we all know that Sue is a cupcake girl.)  I know that Sue said that she is not brave.  Well sometimes friends see the things that we don’t see in ourselves.  With her strength and courage, Sue inspires me to be a stronger person.  I think that each time we face fear; we gain more strength and courage and become stronger.  While I wish she were strapping on her pink boxing gloves (damn they’re cute) to gain more strength in her kickboxing class, she is instead building her strength and courage kicking cancer in the @*#!  Remember, our gloves are on, and we stand in your corner ready to fight!

As I get started I want to apologize for jumping around, leaving something out or any errors.  I am not the amazing writer that Sue is…I am Gina and if you remember, texting can prove challenging for me. J

I remember when the text came through.  I just stood and stared at my phone in disbelief.  Am I reading this correctly?  This can’t be true.  WHY?  WHY AGAIN?  Well, while I knew it didn’t sound good, she still hadn’t had the mammogram and ultrasound.  I was praying and still holding on to hope.  Unfortunately the news that came later wasn’t the news I had been praying for.  Tears began to fall.  This is a road that must be traveled along again.  Can’t we put a sign up that says “ROAD CLOSED?” 

The waiting was filled with many emotions… sadness; worry and fear were among those felt.  I wanted to be strong and be there for whatever she may need.  I knew the emotions that I was feeling and knew they didn’t even compare to the ones she was feeling.  Many texts and calls were exchanged over the next few days.  I remember being thrilled when I heard that it was the “good” cancer.  Wait. That seems strange.  How can I be happy?  It is still cancer. But it was the better of the two, and in this case, that was good.

I will jump ahead to July 11, 2012 ~ “Time for Cocktails.” 

The day was here.  The fight begins.  When Steph and I arrived at the hospital, we found Chris in the waiting room.  Sue and her mom were meeting with the doctor.  We were updated and patiently waited to see Sue before “cocktail” hour.  How I wished I could wave a magic wand and change the location to cocktails in Oakbrook with a little shopping afterward, instead of our current location…that will have to be postponed for another date.   I sit and see the bag Sue has packed for US… just as she did for the “emergency lumpectomy.”  We are here to do this for her, and yet even as she is facing one of the toughest challenges life has to offer, she never stops thinking of others.  That is Sue.  Sue and her mom come out…and what is this???  Didn’t this girl just have surgery??? She was looking cute as ever.

We sat and waited for Sue’s name to be called.  We laughed a lot, which helped.  They say laughter is the best medicine.  If that is the case…she can laugh with me or at me, as is the case most of the time, any time. Ha! After her name was called and we exchanged hugs and kisses, Sue and Steph went back.  Steph was a good choice.  She is so strong.  Have you seen that girl’s biceps?  She may give Jim a run for his money. As I was feeling my eyes fill with tears, I did not want Sue’s mom to see me cry and add to hers so I quickly excused myself to find a bathroom.  I wiped my tears, said a prayer and returned.  After I returned, I chatted with “The Twins,” as Sue likes to call them and also with her friend Jennifer.  Time passed and I was able to go in and sit with Sue.  I was glad to see she was doing better than Steph had shared.  We sat and shared and before you know it “cocktail” hour was over.  Sue would be heading home.  I am glad I was able to be there.  I hope I helped a little.
  
Seeing her feel so bad in the days that followed were tough.  How I wish I could just make her feel better.  Well, I hope that you know that I am here for you.  I love you with all my butt.  Yes I said butt…that’s because it is BIGGER than my heart.  You see when I dance on the tables; they have to be pretty strong!

I write this before heading out to Sue’s head shaving “party.”  Again, many tears and emotions.  I can’t imagine the fear she is feeling, as she will lose her hair, but I know she already gained more strength and courage.  I look forward to meeting Zara tonight.  “Stella” would love to borrow her pole sometime."

Thanks, Gina!!!  I read this right before I posted it and I cried the entire time.  Thank you for being so strong and brave for me!  LOVE YOU!!!


XOXO,

Sue


2 comments:

  1. I don't know you, Gina, but I wish I did. What can go wrong for Sue with people like you guarding her back. :o) Sue: They've got you covered. :o) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pat! My friends are amazing! I wouldn't be who I am today without them! I hope you are doing well. Please tell Dan hello!

    ReplyDelete